LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

High Humidity, High Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Humidity, High Idle?

I've had an 86' Trans Am for a few years now. Bought it off a guy who threw in a LT1 block from a 96' Trans Am, everything else aftermarket and carburated. The car has ran absolutely perfect and loud since I got it, until about a month ago. We had a huge storm and my T/A was flooded up to about an inch below the fusebox. Ever since, I have had issues with it starting and stalling. As for the starting, I have fixed the issue by cleaning the starter cables. The stalling issue was fixed by replacing a bad fuel pump (coincidence of the storm, maybe) but now I'm having problems with high idle in the mornings and only the mornings when I go to work. I live in south texas so temp isn't an issue, but after it's warmed up the idle will not drop lower than about 1400 RPM. However, in the late afternoon my T/A starts fine and is warmed up and ready to go at about 700 RPM in a few secs. I have noticed it has been really humid lately, my car is kept outside and nearly soak in water from the moisture. will humidity affect my idle? Thank You.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you cleaned your linkages??
Old 04-25-2012, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmer8705
I've had an 86' Trans Am for a few years now. Bought it off a guy who threw in a LT1 block from a 96' Trans Am, everything else aftermarket and carburated. .

I don't think we can help much if it is that far modified and we don't have DETAILS.

You might as well not even consider it an LT1 except for the waterpump, damper and timing cover. It is more of a gen 1 motor now.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check for a vac leak.

Quick Reply: High Humidity, High Idle?