LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
Old 05-13-2016, 04:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

NHRA rules ?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NHRA rules ?

What is required for a low 11 manual hardtop?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Theres a sticky on all the rules but you pretty much need a helmet jacket 6pt cage harness and a ds safety loop. Thats all I can think of off the top if my head
Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Truthfully the list is pretty long and is constantly evolving, so it would be a good idea to pick up the 2012 NHRA handbook so there's no confusion with last year's (or any other year's) rules.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are some tracks this strict for test and tuning? Lol where i go if you have a helmet ur good to go. If you purge no2 you better have a fire jacket. Other than that they dont mess with you. They didnt kick a guy i know ouy for not having a cage till it hit a 9. I think a 6 point is a bit much for a 11sec street car.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave357LT1
Are some tracks this strict for test and tuning? Lol where i go if you have a helmet ur good to go. If you purge no2 you better have a fire jacket. Other than that they dont mess with you. They didnt kick a guy i know ouy for not having a cage till it hit a 9. I think a 6 point is a bit much for a 11sec street car.
Used to be 11.99 or quicker a five or six point roll cage was required. Last time I was kicked off all they said was I needed a cage (at MIR). But yeah, most techs really don't pay much attention to more modern FI cars.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Launching!

I was just wondering the same thing. Might have to pick one of the rule books up.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 3DFORMULA
What is required for a low 11 manual hardtop?
Based on what you wrote, I am going to assume you are 11.49 or quicker. NHRA requires the following for 2012.

6pt Roll Bar
5pt Safety Harness
MA or SA 2005 or newer open face helmet
Jacket and pants 3.2A/1 or better
Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I was actually concerned about the clutch, flywheel, and bellhousing. Does all that have to be newer sfi cert?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Longbob
Based on what you wrote, I am going to assume you are 11.49 or quicker. NHRA requires the following for 2012.

6pt Roll Bar
5pt Safety Harness
MA or SA 2005 or newer open face helmet
Jacket and pants 3.2A/1 or better
Pants? WTF thats new.

Don't forget if you have slicks you need a DS loop, and I believe for a manual trans you need a scatter shield of some sort.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

I dont think you need pants until 9.99

Theres the sticky. Its old but everything back then you probably will need now. Maybe even more

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...rness-etc.html
Old 04-24-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jetaws6

Theres the sticky. Its old but everything back then you probably will need now. Maybe even more

Yea, duh, thanks, I caught that the first time. Appreciate that. I do just need to get a new rule book.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jetaws6

Yes, you have to have both the jacket and pants rated at 3.2A/1 for 11.49 or quicker.

At 9.99 or quicker you have to have jacket and pants rated at 3.2A/5, a full face helmet, neck roll, and gloves. Plus, you need a 10 pt cage, window net, and SFI padding on the cage at any point the helmet may come in contact. Not to mention that you need to get the NHRA competition license if you plan on going that quick or 135 mph or over.

It is all spelled out in the 2012 rule book.

Edited to add: That sticky lists the rules that are 3 years old. There have been a lot of changes since then.

Last edited by Longbob; 04-24-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: About the sticky
Old 04-24-2012, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also need wheel studs if running a drag combo. I didnt know about the pants. That must be new for 2012.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AChotrod
You also need wheel studs if running a drag combo. I didnt know about the pants. That must be new for 2012.
The pants rule started in 2010 for cars quicker than 11.49.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Good to knw. Looks like I need me some pants then.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Thanks guys, I was actually concerned about the clutch, flywheel, and bellhousing. Does all that have to be newer sfi cert?
They will not be crawling all over your car unless you are in some sort of specialized event. Go to a regular street night and they probably won't do anything other than check under the hood to see if you have an engine.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

From the 2012 rule book for Stock Eliminator.

CLUTCH, FLYWHEEL, FLYWHEEL SHIELD
Clutch and flywheel meeting SFI Spec 1.1 or 1.2 (2-disc maximum) mandatory. Steel flywheel shield meeting SFI Spec 6.1 or 9.1 mandatory on all V-8 cars with a clutch. Flywheel shield cannot be modified for clutch adjustment and/or cooling holes. See General Regulations 2:3, 2:5, 2:6, 2:10.

General Regs:

2:3 CLUTCH
Each car in competition, except those with automatic transmissions, must be equipped with a foot-operated clutch incorporating a positive stop to prevent clutch from going over center or past neutral, as in the case of centrifugal units. All pedals must be covered with non-skid material. NHRA-accepted hand controls for the physically challenged permitted. All slider clutches must meet SFI Spec 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 as outlined under Class Requirements. In Class Requirements that call for an SFI Spec 1.2 clutch, an SFI Spec 1.5 clutch can be used. Multi-disc clutch assembly for non- OEM supercharged, nitrous-oxide injected, and non-OEM turbocharged vehicles must meet SFI Spec 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5 and must utilize an SFI Spec 6.2 or 6.3 flywheel shield, except as noted in Class Requirements.

2:5 FLYWHEEL
The use of stock-type cast iron flywheels and/or pressure plates prohibited. The use of aluminum flywheels in Top Fuel and Funny Car is prohibited. Units meeting SFI Spec 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5 mandatory except as noted in Class Requirements.

2:6 FLYWHEEL SHIELD & MOTOR PLATE: General
The use of aluminum bellhousing is permitted in all categories and applications. The aluminum bellhousing must meet applicable SFI Specifications. Absolutely no modifications to as-manufactured design are permitted on SFI Spec 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, or 9.1 flywheel shields and/or liners. An SFI Spec 6.1W bellhousing is also acceptable wherever an SFI Spec 6.1 bellhousing is mandatory or permitted. All 6.2 and 6.3 titanium bellhousings must be reinspected and recertified yearly. SFI 6.1 titanium and aluminum bellhousings and SFI 6.2 or 6.3 steel bellhousings must be reinspected and recertified every two years (or as specified by the manufacturer). SFI 6.1 or 9.1 bellhousings must be reinspected and recertified every five years (6.1) or every two years (9.1). Where SFI Spec bellhousings are mandatory, all applicable liners, large mounting fasteners, motor plates, etc., as required by SFI Specs or the manufacturer, must be properly installed.
Where an SFI 6.1, 6.3, or 9.1 bellhousing is mandatory, a full, one- piece motor plate is also mandatory at the rear of the engine block. The motor plate must be constructed of steel or 6061-T6, 7075-T6 or 2024-T3 wrought heat-treated aluminum alloy plate, minimum 1/8-inch thick for 6.1 or 9.1 applications, minimum 3/16-inch thick for 6.3 applications. In addition to the fastener requirements noted below, the SFI 6.3 flywheel shield must be fastened to the motor plate with four 1/2-inch-diameter Grade 5 shoulder bolts or high strength steel (or titanium) fasteners and nuts, one in each quadrant. Where an SFI 6.2 bellhousing is mandatory, see Section 2:8 for motor plate and fastener requirements.
The flywheel shield must be fastened to the engine and motor plate with a full complement (all available engine bolt holes or as specified by the manufacturer) of Grade 8 bolts or high strength studs. The use of Allen bolts to fasten the shield to engine or motor plate, to fasten covers, etc. is prohibited. All bolts (not studs or nuts) used for flywheel shield mounting, covers, etc. must be identifiable as to grade; all nuts and bolts associated with flywheel shield mounting, covers, etc. must be full standard depth, width, etc. (reduced thickness bolt heads, hollow bolts, half nuts, thin wall nuts, etc. prohibited). Maximum depth of flywheel shield is 8 5/8 inches, except Top Fuel, Funny Car, TAD, TAFC, and Advanced E.T., maximum depth 9.4 inches (inside). Maximum thickness of all motor plates, mid-plates, and mounting plates installed between engine and flywheel shield is 1/2-inch, except SFI 6.1 which may be 1 1/4- inch maximum. All covers and fasteners associated with the flywheel shield must be installed prior to starting engine at any time, including warm-ups. Maximum spacing between flange fasteners in the flywheel shield is 7 inches. Chemical milling or any other structure-weakening procedure is prohibited. Welding to repair a flywheel shield is prohibited unless it is performed by the manufacturer and recertified by the manufacturer prior to use.
For cars equipped with an SFI 7.1 lower engine ballistic/restraint device, a maximum of two holes, each no larger than two inches in diameter (or 3.14 square inches equivalent area) are permitted. The holes must be located entirely below the horizontal centerline of the crankshaft. The holes must be at least 0.5-inch from any bellhousing bolt hole and be separated by at least two inches. SFI 6.2 flywheel shields may have one two-inch maximum diameter hole in the bottom of the back face of the shield. The opening in the motor plate for the crankshaft flange may not exceed the crankshaft flange diameter by more than one inch (except as noted for Top Fuel and Funny Car).

2:10 FLYWHEEL SHIELD: Other Classes
All other cars using a clutch and running 11.49 or quicker must be equipped with an SFI 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, or 9.1 flywheel shield. See Section 2:6 for motor plate and general requirements. There shall be a minimum of seven 3/8-inch-diameter Grade 8 bolts or high strength steel studs in the top half of the bellhousing. There shall be a minimum of eight 3/8-inch-diameter Grade 8 bolts or high strength steel studs in the bottom half of the bellhousing used to fasten the bellhousing to the motor plate. Modifications or repairs to the flywheel shield prohibited except if performed and recertified by manufacturer.
Exceptions to this rule: Volkswagen and Porsche engine cars are not required to have a shield when the engines are normally aspirated and gasoline burning. Porsche engines must use a steel billet flywheel. All other RWD cars running 11.49 or quicker for which an SFI 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, or 9.1 flywheel shield is not commercially available may use an SFI 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, or 9.1 flywheel shield from another application and mount it to a motor plate that is mounted to the engine block at all available bolt holes; or must be equipped with a flywheel shield made of 1/4-inch minimum thickness steel plate, securely mounted to the frame or frame structure and completely surrounding the bellhousing 360 degrees. The flywheel shield shall not be bolted to either the bellhousing or engine. The flywheel shield must extend forward to a point at least 1 inch ahead of the flywheel and 1 inch to the rear of the rotating components of the clutch and pressure plate.
All front-wheel-drive or transverse-mounted applications using a clutch and running 11.49 or quicker, for which an SFI Spec 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, or 9.1 flywheel shield is not commercially available, must be equipped with a flywheel shield made of 1/4-inch minimum thickness steel plate. Shield must surround the bellhousing completely except for area of bellhousing adjacent to differential and axle shaft. Shield may be multi-piece, with pieces bolted together using minimum 3/8-inch-diameter Grade 5 or M10 class 8.8 bolts; may be attached to engine and/or bellhousing.
Titanium flywheel shields are permitted only in Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, Top Alcohol Dragster, Top Alcohol Funny Car, Comp, Super Comp, Super Gas, Advanced E.T., and E.T.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mercy!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

The "pants" rule is just that, you have to wear pants, no shorts. That is how every NHRA track I go to reads it anyway. They don't start getting really pissy until you trap over 135.

The clutch, flywheel and scattershield are supposed to be SFI certified but almost nobody is going to crawl under your car to look. Those are the most important safety items to me though.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 05HD
The "pants" rule is just that, you have to wear pants, no shorts. That is how every NHRA track I go to reads it anyway. They don't start getting really pissy until you trap over 135.

The clutch, flywheel and scattershield are supposed to be SFI certified but almost nobody is going to crawl under your car to look. Those are the most important safety items to me though.
From the 2012 rule book.

PROTECTIVE CLOTHING
Full-length pants; short- or long-sleeved shirt; closed shoes; and socks. No shorts. No tank tops. No open-toe or open-heel shoes or sandals. Synthetic clothing not recommended. Jacket and pants meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory in AA/S through M/S, AA/SA through M/SA, and in any vehicle running 11.49 or quicker. SFI Spec 3.3/1 gloves mandatory in any vehicle running 9.99 or quicker. See General Regulations 10:10.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NHRA rules ?