LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Got my cable. Got my laptop. Recommend me some programs.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Got my cable. Got my laptop. Recommend me some programs.

My USB/ALDL cable came in today so I can link up with the pcm.

What programs, free or pay, do you recommend for data logging, uploading the tune and reprogramming it?

http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/pages.asp?pageid=20

Was also thinking of getting my hands on a socketed pcm as backup just in case I do something stupid like turn my pcm into a paperweight.

Speed density and ditch the MAF is the goal but I'll start with the basics first. Got to find out if I'm running rich or not. Thanx
Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally went with tunercats and TTS datamaster.

datamaster gives you 20 free scans before you have to buy a activation code, havnt needed to buy it yet, still have 15+ scans left.

tunercats seems like a straight forward program to use, only thing is you have to find out which port the aldl cable is plugged into and setting tunercats to look for that port, nothing to hard.

My .02
Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

all programs are free, you just need to get some more programs from these guys;(know the right sites), tunercats is it for tuning to?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bizerk1
all programs are free, you just need to get some more programs from these guys;(know the right sites), tunercats is it for tuning to?
Yes indeed, lol
Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use DataMaster and TunerCats.

Um plug in USB, click on drop down menu, select port that is active. Done. Thats how to find the port in TunerCat. The middle USB port on my laptop is COM3.

I turned my PCM into a paper weight and bought another off a guy. Talked to TunerCats they told me to send it and they would fix it for free.

Speed Density is easy in TunerCats. Select tables, ECM Switch, Speed Density mode activate, done.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can still find TTS Datamaster version 3.5.1., it has a bug and gives unlimited use if installed on a machine with Windows 7.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by F0x Slaughter
I use DataMaster and TunerCats.

Um plug in USB, click on drop down menu, select port that is active. Done. Thats how to find the port in TunerCat. The middle USB port on my laptop is COM3.

I turned my PCM into a paper weight and bought another off a guy. Talked to TunerCats they told me to send it and they would fix it for free.

Speed Density is easy in TunerCats. Select tables, ECM Switch, Speed Density mode activate, done.
This is what I fear. Totally borking the pcm. But I was told as long as I don't unplug the damn thing or have the power cut while it's uploading I'll be fine.

I don't think switching over to speed density is that easy. The programming aspect anyway.

Originally Posted by wrd1972
If you can still find TTS Datamaster version 3.5.1., it has a bug and gives unlimited use if installed on a machine with Windows 7.
I'm looking into Tunerpro RT on one of gregrob's thread. Looking at Datamaster as well.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For fear of bricking the PCM, re flashing the pcm is no different then updating the BIOS on your mother board. You just can't have any major hiccups in the upload. Anyone can brick the pcm, professional or not.

When I uploaded the tune for my car, I brought out my gaming computer(stable and powerful) to the garage and turned off EVERYTHING I could, anti virus, screen savers ect before the upload. You just don't want the system to freeze or stutter at all or you could have problems. Id use the best computer you have access to when you upload for peace of mine.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I use tunerpro RT for free I havent messed with it to much yet, changed the idle a bit from where it was at and datalogged to record for knock. Once my wideband is set up I should be using it ALOT more. The only input I can give is that sometimes the live feed is glitchy. Sometimes its clean and no issues, other times the whole table will flash something random every 2 seconds. Its still useable info, just annoying.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Programming speed density is easy. It uses the VE tables. Set car into SD mode (either by selecting it or unplugging MAF). Data log the car, open TunerCats. Find the MAP and RPM, if the long term fuel trim is rich (ie <128) click on that cell and decrease it. (Not getting into how to do it unless you really want me to) if its lean (ie >128) you add to it. This tells the PCM how much air is "entering" it does a calculation and knows how much fuel to add. Obviously making the VE higher more air enters, thus must fuel must be added, so it adds more fuel to richen, or less to lean the combustion.

To speed up the process, use VEMaster. Then flash the car, relog and do this a couple times, then manually adjust for perfect accuracy.

As far as bricking the PCM be careful. I had my TunerCats open, was flashing, clicked on a table to look at it and bricked the PCM, thats why TunerCat said they would fix it.

Last edited by F0x Slaughter; 04-08-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as bricking the PCM be careful. I had my TunerCats open, was flashing, clicked on a table to look at it and bricked the PCM, thats why TunerCat said they would fix it.
I didnt even think about this, do not touch computer while flashing, dont even think about touching it. Just leave it alone and you should be fine.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can do other things just don't interrupt TunerCat or lose power. I just set it on my passenger seat stand outside and smoke a cigarette.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can do other things just don't interrupt TunerCat or lose power. I just set it on my passenger seat stand outside and smoke a cigarette.
I personally wouldnt do ANYTHING on the computer, all it would take is one cpu spike to 100% and could cause a bricked pcm. Not worth the risk to me.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

There was an older version of datamaster floating around that you could get for free. I just don't know if it will run on Windows7. I had it on my old machine with XP.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

You just have to right click on the properties and tell it what Windows to be compatible with.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

You just have to right click on the properties and tell it what Windows to be compatible with.
Does not work.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matts94Z28
Does not work.
What version of 7 do you have.....the cheap one (home I think it is) dosnt have the xp compatible option...
Old 04-09-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZFreie
What version of 7 do you have.....the cheap one (home I think it is) dosnt have the xp compatible option...
Win7 Home Premium. 64bit. I do have the compatibility options.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matts94Z28
Win7 Home Premium. 64bit. I do have the compatibility options.
That was the end of my knowledge of 7, I'm still in the stone age with xp....lol
Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Smart man! I wish I still had my XP machine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my cable. Got my laptop. Recommend me some programs.