LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starter Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Starter Bolts?

Hey all. I'm switching from a stock LT1 starter in my 1994 Camaro A4 to a LT$ corvette starter. I noticed whyle messing with it that the bolts (stock) appear to be too long for the smaller LT4 starter. Instead of shimming th bolts with washers or something, can anybody give me the correct size of the starter bolts for an LT4 starter? I'd appreciate it!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appearances can be deceiving. Did you actually try the bolts and they did not work, or are you just guess-timating?

1. Take the stock starter measure the depth of each bolt holes for bolt A and bolt B.

2. Take the corvette starter, measure the depth of each bolt holes for bolt A and bolt B.

3. Find the difference for bolt A and bolt B. (For example bolt hole A is 1" shorter on the LT4 starter and bolt hole B is 0.5" shorter on the same starter)

4. Find the length of the stock bolts for bolt A and bolt B.

5. Subtract the values you found in step 3 from the values you found in step 4. This is the bolt length you need.

Any grade 8 bolts from a good hardware store should do.

You could also go to rockauto.com or nalleygmc.com and probably find them.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I've never heard of anyone having a bolt problem when switching to an LT4 starter.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
Any grade 8 bolts from a good hardware store should do.

You could also go to rockauto.com or nalleygmc.com and probably find them.
I can't help with the length issue. But the correct starter bolts have knurling on the ends of them to locate the starter. Regular bolts will work, but you run the risk of damaging the teeth on the flywheel/flexplate or the starter itself.

Quick Reply: Starter Bolts?