LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel Pump Question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel Pump Question!

I have a 1987 Chevy truck with a LT in it. The pump in the tank went back so I bought a inline pump from Summit that you mount along the frame rails. It fired right up and ran fine for a whole day. Then I went out about a week later to start it up and it didnt want to start. The gas gauge was reading between 1/4 and empty. I was think maybe the gauge was off so I went and put 5 gallons of fuel in it and it started but ran like it was running on 5 cylinders. I had it running like that for 10 minutes hoping it would clear out but it didn't. Then it shut off and wouldnt restart. I really didn't have time to mess with it so my buddy put a gas can in the bed and ran the fuel lines up to it and it ran perfect. No problems what so ever. When I bought the pump it said to mount it under the tank but I couldn't do that because the tank on theae old Chevys hang below the frame rails so I had no where to mount it. I mounted it on the passenger side frame rail right where the bed and cab meet. The tank is on the drivers side. Do you think its because the pump is too far away from the tank? It also has the original pump still in the tank, could that be a problem as well? Well any help on this will be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You cannot draw through a factory pump, nor should you draw through the factory lines from the top of the tank.

Once you starve the pump it is likely ruined.

If you want to do it right, replace the factory intank pump.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

pulling through a dead pump is a LOT of excess load on the new one.
Sounds like you created a lot of extra hassle and expense by trying to save time and money.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No wonder it's called "The Money Pit."

Sorry, but pulling fuel through a dead pump is not the right way to fix a dead pump.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 AM
TECH Junkie

The factory in-tank pump for an '87 is roughly 13psi due to being TBI plus drawing through that pump is A LOT to ask for any pump. The nearest your pump is to the tank the better it will function especially without any restrictions...
Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, sorry for the ignorance. I'm new to the fuel injection scene. So what would be the smartest thing to do to fix it? You said I can't just replace the one in the tank since its not enough psi right.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Put a 255lph in the tank inplace of the factory pump.
It is not that hard to do.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Question!