LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake manifold oil leak.....any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The addition of thread sealant certainly doesn't hurt. I've never had a leak using ARP Thread Sealant and my OPSU has been removed and installed probably a dozen times - each time getting new sealant.

In the few minutes it takes to remove the sensor and fittings and apply new sealant it's worth knowing that you eliminate the possibility of them leaking.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually, I may have used some additional sealant on my sensor. It's been so long ago that I can't really remember. It would actually be unusual for me not to use additional sealant.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by ahritchie
It's a pretty decent leak as I could see it dripping on my driveway as the car idled at operating temp
Manifold leaks don't generate oil dripping leaks especially if the engine is idle and the oil valley is under vacuum. Unless the seal has completely blown out, they seep more than anything. Sounds more like it's a leak that has pressure behind it, so as stated, use thread sealant, let cure and then start engine to see what's up.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Manifold leaks don't generate oil dripping leaks especially if the engine is idle and the oil valley is under vacuum. Unless the seal has completely blown out, they seep more than anything. Sounds more like it's a leak that has pressure behind it, so as stated, use thread sealant, let cure and then start engine to see what's up.
Yea, probably does not help this motor makes 60-80psi of oil pressure at idle depending on temp.

I'm going to try to get those fittings off with the manifold still on it tonight or at least put lots of dope on the oil pressure sensor and see what happens. If it's still leaking, the intake is coming off a 3rd time and I'm doping both fittings and tightening them like crazy.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Village Troll

Don't put lots. That may cause you more harm than good. Smear a light coating on the threads.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

So I did a half-*** fix with half-*** results....I could not figure out how to get those damn fittings removed with them hidden under the back of the intake/EGR so tightly...is it even humanly possible to remove those without pulling the intake AGAIN? So I just put some pipe dope/thread sealant on the sensor itself since it is easy to remove (there was no tape sealant left and oil was clearly seeping all the way up the threads) and tightened it up.

However, I noticed I could move the whole sensor/fitting assembly left or right fairly easily, so the fitting that goes into the block is moving...the seal has been broken, I just tightened it as much as I could with my hand until the sensor was cocked toward the front a bit. Good news is I'm almost certain it's the broken seal of the fitting causing the leak, there was fresh oil all over the fittings after driving it to work and I cleaned them yesterday.

Has anyone actually removed the fitting in the block with the intake still on the motor (and engine in the car lol) or is pulling the intake required? I know it should be possible, but it's very hard to access. Also, do I use the same white permatex thread sealant on these fittings?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Village Troll

If the EGR is still in place while you're doing this, take it off. Aside from the sender there are two other fittings. One is straight, and you should be able to get it off with the correct sized wrench. The other is a 90* and my be more challenging to get off with the manifold in place. I don't know if there's enough clearance or not, but at least get the straight fitting off and then try to go for the 90*. Shoebox has a pic on his site that may help.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If the EGR is still in place while you're doing this, take it off. Aside from the sender there are two other fittings. One is straight, and you should be able to get it off with the correct sized wrench. The other is a 90* and my be more challenging to get off with the manifold in place. I don't know if there's enough clearance or not, but at least get the straight fitting off and then try to go for the 90*. Shoebox has a pic on his site that may help.
Found the pic....yea, it does look "possible" to get to once the EGR valve is out of the way. Will have to try later when the car finally is cool enough, I got some burns on my hands from being impatient last night lol.
Attached Thumbnails Intake manifold oil leak.....any advice?-egr1.jpg  
Old 06-26-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do yourself the favor and just take off the EGR valve. Certainly makes the job MUCH easier.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Default one step forward, two steps back

So I just got both fittings off after taking off the EGR valve....not nearly as bad as I thought actually....only took 20 mins or so and I'm no mechanic. Unfortunately, just my luck, I managed to somehow damage the female threads of the engine block fitting by using a damn adjustable crescent wrench so now the other fitting won't screw in all the way.....who wants to sell me some LT1 oil fittings?

For future reference, the proper socket makes this a piece of cake once the EGR is out of there....DO NOT USE AN ADJUSTABLE CRESCENT WRENCH! If only I would have known the right socket for the 90 one in the block is a 19mm and the one the OPS goes into is a 7/8"
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my sensor off of a laid down angle and put it straight up and down. Itook the sensor to napa and asked them what kind of fitting i needed and a little bit of teflon tape and done. Piece of cake!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

So you are saying NAPA sells 90 oil fittings that will go into the block?

I just need to know where to get another fitting to replace the one I fucked up
Old 06-27-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

A standard 1/8" NPT fitting is all you need IIRC.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Negative....they don't have the hole in the side, NAPA does not carry it; neither does Home depot; it's a transvestite fitting (has both male and female threads) Apparently it's an official GM part; and therefore they charge you out the ***....$29 for one tiny fitting WTF! **** better be gold plated lol. I'll call my buddy who works at the dealership and see if he can get a better deal....what a pain in the ***!

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/.../10137636.html

Last edited by ahritchie; 06-27-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

This ****** is discontinued....so I have to pay for shipping from a dealership several states away so it's almost $50 for one fitting.

Seriously, who wants to sell me some oil fittings? I know somebody has a crusty LT1 boat anchor somewhere collecting dust lol. It's either that or I go out to the "pull a part" in the 105 degree heat this weekend looking for oil fittings out of a caprice Does not sound fun
Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you have one good fitting, install that one into the block, then pick up a stainless steel 1/8" NPT street elbow, then thread that into the good fitting on the block.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

If you have one good fitting, install that one into the block, then pick up a stainless steel 1/8" NPT street elbow, then thread that into the good fitting on the block.
Looks like both fittings are fucked from me trying to screw the other one into the one with the bad female threads...it mushroomed one of the threads and even running a thread repair tool over both fittings won't fix it

I did find a website that sells fittings that looks like they might work:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-s...ttings/=i6d8p0

Would 2 of the "miniature stainless steel threaded pipe fittings" 90 female x male elbow 1/8 x 1/8 (part #2684K14) work? I would have to get a different oil pressure sensor because mine is the bigger 1/4" thread I believe.

If not I'm going to have to start searching junkyards....not fun at all.
Attached Thumbnails Intake manifold oil leak.....any advice?-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by ahritchie; 06-28-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

You could always just relocate your OPSU to above the oil filter using a 1/4" NPT x 1/8" NPT pipe reducing bushing.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

This website kicks ***....I put up a wanted ad and somebody replied that is selling both stock fittings in less than an hour! Hopefully they ship it quick!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-wan...l#post16465403

Quick Reply: Intake manifold oil leak.....any advice?