LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Machine shop says cam might be ruint

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Machine shop says cam might be ruint

So i went ahead and took the plunge of the h/c and got it back together and running and everything was going good until it spun two rods and a main... so now i've got the engine out, tore down, and at the machine shop so i figured i'd let them put the short block together and when i gave them the cam they said that the cam might be ruint. the scarring on it is a bout 4 to 7 thousandths deep and they say it could cause oil psi problems etc. any thoughts?
all help greatly appreciated!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95_muscle
So i went ahead and took the plunge of the h/c and got it back together and running and everything was going good until it spun two rods and a main... so now i've got the engine out, tore down, and at the machine shop so i figured i'd let them put the short block together and when i gave them the cam they said that the cam might be ruint. the scarring on it is a bout 4 to 7 thousandths deep and they say it could cause oil psi problems etc. any thoughts?
all help greatly appreciated!
No sensee in putting something back together when you know it's wrong. Having a scar on the cam is going to wear between the needle bearing on the lifter and the lobe, which is going to lead to metal shavings on down the road, which in return will get sucked up by your oil pump and probably wipe out a few bearings like you just did... Get a new cam ground for your application from advanced induction or lloyd elliot and don't look back.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ruined.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

shew boy, ya'll are some heartbreakers! haha nevertheless ya'll are right, i guess i just hate to put 300 more dollars into something thats already expensive enough as it is! guess you gotta pay to play!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aint that the truth!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now is the perfect time to do a cam. Imagine the cost of doing a cam swap down the road with the engine in the car, not to mention if it failed down the road.

You have any power goals with the car, any mods already, or are you just tyring to get it back together?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

4 to 7 thousandths??? well which one is it. 7 is about double deeper than 4.

is the scarring on both the journals and the lobes?

Quick Reply: Machine shop says cam might be ruint