LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 crank but no start, have done tests, PCM or Opti? Ignition Switch? No spark.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default LT1 crank but no start, have done tests, PCM or Opti? Ignition Switch? No spark.

I've done SOME of the tests from here:

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/foru...rt-diagnostic/

I have not officially checked for fuel because unfortunately my fuel pressure gauge will not fit under the cowl, but the pump turns on and fuel does squirt out of the schrader valve if I press it.

Have done the tests for ICM connector and it does have ground, 12v with key on, 1-5av while cranking. I have two coils and two ICMs, no configuration works.

Timing light on plug wire = not lit up at all (no spark).

Then I did this test:

"No Spark Fuel ok Diagnostics

The first thing we will do is verify the optical sensor is working correctly. And here is how..

Unhook 1 fuel injector connector. With your test light check for pulsing ground on the NON PINK wire while cranking the engine (different years use different color wires but all year have pink wires for the positive voltage side of the connectors) The other choice you have is to use the noid light (noid light AZ OEM part number 25143), plug the noid light into the connector and crank the car. The light should flash..

Do you have a flashing ground while cranking?

Yes, the optical sensor is sending the signal and should be ok, continue to test the ignition system.

No, the optical sensor is not working see testing opti section."

I do not get a flashing ground - 0.00-0.01av while cranking.

So before I start testing the opti, PCM, and wiring in between, could it be anything else? Could it be the ignition switch or will the car not crank at all if that is dead?
Old 08-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the SAME problem, with the same test results. I have an MSD Opti (one of the originals) so I hope that is not the problem, but I think it might be.

I'm trying an additional ICM first, since its a lot easier.

Quick Reply: LT1 crank but no start, have done tests, PCM or Opti? Ignition Switch? No spark.