LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone running PilotSport2's or EagleF1Supercar tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running PilotSport2's or EagleF1Supercar tires?

Hey guys,

I could use some advice on what rear tires to get. I'm on C5 Z06 wheels (18x10.5 out back), and my 295 35 18 BFG Drag Radials are pretty much completely bald.

I've heard the Michelin PS2's and Goodyear EagleF1SC's are actually as sticky as drag radials but are better in the rain and last a lot longer. Plus, I'd be getting 10/32" of tread with these tires, as opposed to the BFG DR's which come with around 5/32".

Anyone who has either of these two types of tires, what was you normal 60' time? Three years ago, before my cam swap when my DR's were new, I was consistently running 1.9 60's. By the time I swapped the cam in last May, they were pretty much bald, and the best I could get out of them 2.0 which isn't very good.

I'd be more than willing to spend the extra few bucks on the PilotSport2's or the EagleF1SC's if I knew I could still cut 1.9 60's and get more life out of them than the BFG Drag Radials. Not having to worry about getting caught in the rain would be great, too.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On BFG dragradials I have pulled off 12.9 (bolt on Lt1 at 3000'+) the same night before we left I had to make 1.8 60'..... one last pass after I swapped tires back to my c6 285/35/19 pilots and pulled off a 13.5 and a 2.0 60'
Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't have your cake and eat it too!

Just get some cheap 16" stock size wheels and put some REAL slicks on them; change them out at the track
Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Can't have your cake and eat it too!

Just get some cheap 16" stock size wheels and put some REAL slicks on them; change them out at the track
I've got some Hoosier Quicktimes on my stockers, I'm just too lazy to change them when I go to the track

I'd have to dust the cobwebs off of them, I haven't run them since my car was mostly stock, and they might be dry rotting by now lol.

I did just discover that Hoosier sells a regular drag radial in 315 30 18, which is pretty freakin close to my size for only $231. Look's like I'll have to get the old 3# sledge out again beat the **** out of my fenderwells again to get these fatasses to fit...
Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

On a more serious note, thanks for your input guys. I think I am steering more towards another set of drag radials for the C5Z wheels.

Those Hoosiers are cheap and will pretty much hook like MT's.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

The absolute best route to go in this situation would be a 15x8 w/26x10x15 for a few reasons but the #1 reason is the sidewall...... there is plenty!
Too many people put big wide tires on when its not needed especially thinking traction equals wide tire....
Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

I've considered going to a 15" or 16" Weld Prostar with a Hoosier or MT drag radial. Car would look mean as hell, plus with all the added sidewall I'd only need like a 275 to hook really well.

Not quite bored with the C5Z's yet, plus I'd really need to upgrade to a 12-bolt or 9-inch to hook like that without breaking **** constantly.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

That's the truth...... I got tired of breaking rearends thats why i built 2 8.8 rears for my toys in sig......
Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
I've got some Hoosier Quicktimes on my stockers, I'm just too lazy to change them when I go to the track

I'd have to dust the cobwebs off of them, I haven't run them since my car was mostly stock, and they might be dry rotting by now lol.

I did just discover that Hoosier sells a regular drag radial in 315 30 18, which is pretty freakin close to my size for only $231. Look's like I'll have to get the old 3# sledge out again beat the **** out of my fenderwells again to get these fatasses to fit...
Those hoosiers don't look very street/rain friendly at all...they are basically slicks with just a couple of grooves. I would not want to be stuck in rainstorm with those. Might want to consider some Nitto NT555R DR's, at least they have sipes for actual wet weather driving just in case...could prevent an accident.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ahritchie
Those hoosiers don't look very street/rain friendly at all...they are basically slicks with just a couple of grooves. I would not want to be stuck in rainstorm with those. Might want to consider some Nitto NT555R DR's, at least they have sipes for actual wet weather driving just in case...could prevent an accident.
Yeeeaaaa I still haven't ordered any tires yet. I was looking at how much tread those tires don't have, how much attention I'll have to pay to the weather, and then I started to hesitate instead of just pulling the trigger.

Plus I'm not very excited about having to pound my fender wells in any further.

How well do the Nitto DR's hook? I've heard they're pretty comparable to BFG DR's.

Quick Reply: Anyone running PilotSport2's or EagleF1Supercar tires?