LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 LT1 Cylinders 1 & 2 Dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 94 LT1 Cylinders 1 & 2 Dead

Hi everyone,

After burning though my limited mechanical knowledge and Google, I though I would post here. My 94 LT1 Camaro escaped an encounter with a flash flood a couple days ago but not without any problems. The engine cut out due to water but fired right back up made it the half block home just fine. The next day the car would crank and begin to turn over but wouldn't start, so did what I could for it at home such as unplugging and drying out the battery terminal, air intake, and MAF. When the car did fire up, it ran very rough. Lacking the tools to do any further work and not wanting to risk piston damage from any possible water in the cylinders, I had it towed to the local GM dealership.

The dealership mechanics say that while no water had gotten into the cylinders and there was no apparent physical damage (thank God), cylinders 1 and 2 are misfiring, basically dead, and getting no spark while the other 6 are. He claims that the problem is the optispark, but I'm not so sure, even though it wouldn't surprise me do to the water. I've had a bad optispark before and the symptoms were nothing like this. I suggested checking the plugs and wires and maybe check and see if there is a bad coil, but they seem positive that the optispark is malfunctioning.

Does this sound like another case of bad optispark or something else like a coil, spark plug, or even an injector? Thanks in advance for any help.

Update #1: Apparently charge from the distributor isn't even reaching the plugs of the dead cylinders.

Update #2: There were no codes when scanned.

Last edited by CeltSoul; 08-21-2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dead opti, change it
Old 08-21-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Or just do the LTCC conversion since all you need is a good opti cam sensor eye on the opti, no more spark will go through it.

It's what I did when mine died, love the LTCC
Old 08-21-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

^Agreed...optispark does not like water at ALL... the dealership may cost you and arm and a leg or possibly your first born child by the time a genuine GM opti with ridiculous dealership markup and several hours of labor at $90 a pop add up.....you may want to try it yourself or somebody who is familiar with a LT1 who will do it on the side for less $$.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm planning on ordering the part tomorrow and I wanted to get an opinion on the Top Street Performance optisparks.

http://www.twperformanceparts.com/in...roduct_id=3894

http://www.topstreetperformance.com/...-optispark.php
Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CeltSoul
Thanks guys. I'm planning on ordering the part tomorrow and I wanted to get an opinion on the Top Street Performance optisparks.

http://www.twperformanceparts.com/in...roduct_id=3894

http://www.topstreetperformance.com/...-optispark.php
No idea....buyer beware of mysterious branded optis. I would go with MSD or an AC delco IMO.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AC Delco or CMS work well for me.

Quick Reply: 94 LT1 Cylinders 1 & 2 Dead