LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 trans am no dash lights no start

Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 trans am no dash lights no start

okay so i have a 1995 trans am and i ve been going through a few rough patches with it.

so a few weeks ago the security light came on the car still ran and everything was fine so i thought nothing of it. until one day it just didnt start. the dash light were still comeing on everything worked perfectly but the started just wasnt cranking over (the VATS is disabled from my pcm so the fuel wasnt the problem)......so i ended up getting a resistor and by-passed the VATS. the car ran perfectly for a couple weeks with no security light and the a couple of days ago....nothing i turned the key the radio and fans came on (i have an aftermarket radio if that makes a difference) but no dash lights at all as if the battery was disconnected.

i looked it up on the forums and found it may be the ignition sswitch....so 3 hours later i have a new ignition switch installed....worked fine until i stopped at the local coffee shop ....went to leave and same thing no dash lights

if this has happend to anyone or anyone has some input please help.

if it helps i have a remote started and when i remote start it....everything works perfectly....but i still cant drive it. turn the key hit the brakes and the kill switch kills the car.

thank you
Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Perhaps the remote start wiring and work done to install it may be causing a problem. I'd recheck the work or return it to stock and see if the issue continues.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Thank you thats probly my best bet....i was thinking of just taking it back to the installers and haveing them re-wire it.

shbox im looking at your diagrams for ignition switch wireing, im not the best with electrical....are there any hidden relays or fuses that could be blown causing this to happen?

also when i try to turn the car over i hear a click noise from under the passnger side dash area....if that means anything.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Your on the right track. Ive had similar symptoms and the ignition switch went bad due to it burning up the connector. Cleaned everything up nice and put a new switch in and been mint since
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The TDR (Theft Deterrent Relay) is to the right of the glove box.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Teching In

like the connector in the steering column or under the dash with all of the wires comeing out of it.

this morning before i left work i thought i d try turning the key...just for ***** and the car started up right away everything worked....then i shut it off and tried it again....back to nothing.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Teching In

okay so i pulled the relay and tried to start it with the remote....car didnt start so its not the relay...
i then went on to pull the steering column back apart....still nothing that i could see was wrong....i believe it is one of the connectors loose just like 95mystica said....the problem has to be from the ignition switch to where the remote start is wired to right under the lower kick plate on the drivers side.

if i cant find the break up im going to pull the alarm system.

thank you for your guys helps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 trans am no dash lights no start