LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

which lifters to run?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default which lifters to run?

*updated*

I had a lifter go bad recently and want to just go ahead and replace them all. I had ls7 lifters, but I got them used since money was TIGHT when I first built the car. Now I have a better budget and want to just replace them all.

My cam is aggressive so I want to go with a good product, but I dont know anything about lifters. the GOOD lifters are out of my budget, 500$+ is just getting crazy, Id like to stay under 250$.

Summitracing shows alot of lifters in that range. Comp cams pro magnum, Comp cams high energy, Lunati 72910, melling oe replacement, Howards cams performance OE. I also found some Trickflow TFS-21400002-16 that I cant find anything about.

I could also just buy another set of ls7 lifters, but get them new this time. I havent pulled the lifter out that was making noise, but it was bleeding down way to fast and would not pump back up it seemed. Maybe something was misadjusted and it was just its time to go. Or maybe my patriot 8401 valve springs are getting worn out from the high lift and cant keep everything in control.

Do high rpm or fast bleed lifters really do anything better?

I feel like Im throwing my cam specs out every other thread but its 226/232 .606/.603 108lsa and its aggressive lobe.

Any help is appreciated. Seems I read good and bad things about every brand of part, ls7 lifters have kinda been bad news latly so I want to keep my options open.

Last edited by trilkb; 09-09-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I'm running the comp pro mags with no issues. You might want to give someone a call and ask them what they're recommendations are or even talk to your local engine shop
Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Really I am sure some of the lifters you listed are identical to eachother.

I would do some google searching and see if you turn up any info on what brands are made by the same company.

Honestly I might try and find some low mile used stockers from a stock engine. Hell you could pickup a L99 for what you are willing to spend on lifters and endup with a bunch of spare good parts like intake, timing cover, oilpump drive etc.

I believe the Cadillac racing lifters would fall in your price range.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

I read about the cadillac racing lifters in an older vette thread. Basically it boiled down to GM selling the cadillac lifters for 3xx$ and that you could get the ls7 lifters for way cheaper and they were just as good if not better. So im on the fence about that!

Im not sure why I would want to go with another used lifter set either. Why do you reccomend it? I dont care if I can get a whole engine for the price of lifters, I just care that the lifters I get last and are of good quality and can take a beating! haha, but Im not ready to spend 500-700$ on link bar morels.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Does anyone know the difference between these 2 lifters?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12499225/

and

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12371042/

Are they the same lifters just one comes with the retainer and guides?

Is it smart to replace the lifter retainer when you have 125k miles? or is it a waste of money
Old 08-29-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm thinking about trying these for my next refresh on my motor. Why don't you try them for me?

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2536&gid=311
Lunati's new Street Performance Roller Lifters are reasonably priced thanks to modern Cold Casting Technology and offer exceptional durability and performance. Drop-in, retro-fit hydraulic roller lifters - no modifications required. Made by Morel.

Captured link bar system ensures precise lifter movement
Outstanding performance and reliability
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

those do seem pretty nice, and reasonably priced. It says no modification required, but I wonder if stock lenght pushrods work?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would just go with replacement LS7s, especially for the price/durability. There are more sets of LS7s out there in use successfully than those other off-the-shelf brands.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with stock LT1 or LS7. For reliability, that's as good as it gets.
Unless you're spinning beyond 7000 rpm, spending more money on other types will gain nothing in performance with your setup.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

are Ls7's in new gm motors? Just wondering if that part has been superseeded yet or not?

I found those lunati 72332's for 334$ shipped.

I guess I should wait till I have the suspected lifter out of the engine though to see what happened to it. I just have to take the valve covers off, rocker arms and disconnect fuel lines...did the rest already.

Last edited by trilkb; 08-30-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
are Ls7's in new gm motors? Just wondering if that part has been superseeded yet or not?

I found those lunati 72332's for 334$ shipped.

I guess I should wait till I have the suspected lifter out of the engine though to see what happened to it. I just have to take the valve covers off, rocker arms and disconnect fuel lines...did the rest already.
$334...seriously?!

Spend $120 on LS7s. They're used in new GM motors.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Granted, I work for a dealer and we just had 2 comebacks this week for recent work that had new lifters installed. The so-called LS7 lifters. An 05 GTO and an 07 truck. Both had bad lifters. The trucks was broken. It had about 3k miles on it since the fix. GTO was less and had a bad ticking noise. 4 lifters were screwed.

Glad I didn't buy these.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those lunatis appear to be the cheaper morels, which are an offshore lifter....
Old 08-30-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Granted, I work for a dealer and we just had 2 comebacks this week for recent work that had new lifters installed. The so-called LS7 lifters. An 05 GTO and an 07 truck. Both had bad lifters. The trucks was broken. It had about 3k miles on it since the fix. GTO was less and had a bad ticking noise. 4 lifters were screwed.

Glad I didn't buy these.
Im having a bit of the same problem. Put some 155lb seat springs in and ate a lifter. Replaced them with new ls7s and still got a ticking sound. Its the same side with the issue but lifter is rock hard and not bleeding down. This comment above is making me weary. The shop has pulled everything apart and adjusted everything a few times but cant figure out the tick. Its not conisistend it will run fine for 5 min then it will start to tick for a few secs then go away and come back. The guys are stumbed. There going to investigate further and pull the springs and have them checked out. ******* sucks ***** not being able to find out wtf is wrong with the car.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SAPPER

Glad I didn't buy these.
What does your all-data system state for lifter preload? Or whatever labor calculator/proceedure system you use at the GM dealer? does it say to just throw the new lifter in the engine? or presoak it? hit it with engine assembly lube? If 4 are noisey do you replace all 16?

What did you buy if not ls7's? Have you had any experience with the "caddy racing" lifters?

My car isnt a daily driver, I got all the time in the world to decide what lifters to run.

Last edited by trilkb; 08-31-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

IN a Waranty job ONLY the BAD ones get Replaced That used to chap my *** LoL I mean spark plugs are fairly cheap But If Ones Bad Only 1 gets Replaced!!!!!!!! The manufacturer isnt gonna rebuild the whole thing just because a lifter or 2 is ticking LoL SO get the good replacement policy & GO Blow It UP LOL Thats On NEW **** LOL I sent you a PM on Howards lifters
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Well ****. I got the engine the rest of the way apart today since it was so nice out. I took out the #6 and #8 rockers/pushrods/lifters and kept them in order to inspect them.

The only thing that looked out of the ordinary was that the number 6 exhaust side, the lifter had metal shavings or something in the pushrod cup, maybe its blocking oil flow and it wont keep it pumped up? whatever it was was all around the lifter retainer clip and in the pushrod cup a little bit. Unless its something internal in the lifter I cant find much in the way of metal to metal contact that the other ones didnt show.

Kind of at a loss here, I took the whole thing apart and I dont want to put it back together without doing something lol, maybe I should just replace those 4 lifters that were near the noise?

The roller rocker tips were kind of hard to get rolling, not sure if that could be the issue? didnt need much force to make them move but they did move and then spun fine. I assume they are like that on all the rocker arms. Im useing comp cams ultra pro mag's, the black spider web ones which I thought were very high quality.

what would you guys do?

I took a few pictures of the one lifter, but it doesnt show anything that I didnt explain.

Last edited by trilkb; 09-09-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

GM SI states that preload is 270* (3/4 turn). But anything warranty or repair now is LSx motors. So no preload on shaft mount rockers. And yes, usually only the bad ones are replaced but sometimes all will get replaced based on the inspection.

I got the original Delphi lifters from Skip White. These are GM's NOS (new old stock).
Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

If you can find Comp R's then hell, use those as well. You just have to make doubly sure your valvetrain is set up to do what it is supposed to and not rely on bouncing off the flat, thin plunger retainer to maintain valvetrain operation and/or keeping your pushrod in the retainer cup. If it does make contact and/or the pushrod walks, it will break much sooner than the old style wire-like retainers found in most stock lifters.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait... so you're saying if the valvetrain stays in control, 60psi oil pressure won't overcome 350 lbs of valvespring?? How could that ever be

Quick Reply: which lifters to run?