LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car been sitting over a year. What to do before starting.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car been sitting over a year. What to do before starting.

So I'm about ready to get rid of the dd Kia Rio and start putting the Camaro on the road again. I am getting bored with the gutless, poor braking, bad handling, of the Rio. Not to mention its ugly as hell. So onto the question.

Car has been sitting for about a year. I used to start it and keep it going every week but the battery started to crap out and then the water pump started puking. Along with a few oil leaks. So I quit messing with it and got this cheap car to dd.

So first thing I'll do is the water pump and check out the opti as it was brand new before I quit driving it and it got coolant on it. I figure also change the oil, and maybe trans filter.

Anything else I should do?
Should I prime up the oil pump or just shoot wd40/pb blaster type stuff in the spark plug holes.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tune up, turn key. i seem to always buy cars that have set for a while and until its running you really dont know what it needs. example-where your oil is leaking from, which sensors are crap. new fluids and filters, at least fresh plugs if u feel the need. dont forget fuel filter and rear diff fluid level. thats all i got for ya man. im a junk yard picker. buy crap, clean it up, make it run strong and tripple my money
Old 09-02-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would spray some PB blaster in the spark plug holes, disconnect the injector fuses and spin the motor a few times. Instal new plugs tapped properly,change the fuel filter and see if she starts.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Banned

Dont know how true it is but i heard pb eats gaskets, probably not. ive never sprayed nothing in the plug holes unless its locked up, then kerosene (i know, spelled wrong..right?..anyway..) my grandfather restores antique gas powered tractors, mostof them are locked up when he gets em. he runs kerosene in plug holes and in crankcase, puts a breakerbar on it and it always breaks free. cycle clean oil through it until you cant smell it anymore, then get some engine/ring restore of ur choice. im assuming yours isnt locked, so like the guy said above you should be good with spraying it with some kind of lube. not sure about tapping the threads unless thier crap, then again aluminum mated to iron/steel can cause some serious nastiness.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Fogging Oil like they use on Seadoos If you must spray anythying in the Cylinders!!! Seams like the Complete Tune Up , Fluid changes, Fuel filter, & prolly a fuel pump... Setting is hard on em & after 30 days the fuel goes bad & starts turnin green. Ive always used Seafoam over Stabil to help the fuel system. Just take your time & go down a checklist!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Banned

^^^^agreed.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just start the damn thing. If the engine is sealed why would you need to oil the cylinders?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

I bought a car that sat for almost two years, put a battery in it and aired up two tires and drove her home.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:23 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just last week, I fired up a car that had been sitting for almost 2 years. Put air in the back tire, pulled out the aftermarket remote starter, put my battery in it and turned the key. Fired right up and ran great. Took it for a spin around the block and pulled the battery back out. If you know it's leaking at the water pump, replace it and then just drive the darn thing. A year isn't really long enough to cause major issues IMO.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, I'll just do the maint that it needs and fire it up.

Quick Reply: Car been sitting over a year. What to do before starting.