LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD 8956 RPM Activated Switch Installation

Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD 8956 RPM Activated Switch Installation

I have an MSD 8956 RPM Activated RPM Switch I am trying to install and I have having an issue with it.

I have an Autometer Tach that is wired to the ICM Wire for its signal to operate the tach. If I install my window switch connecting it to this wire the car will start, miss, pop and backfire for a couple of seconds before stalling. If I disconnect it the window switch from this wire all works fine leaving all other connections together.

I called MSD and they want me to connect the White Wire from they box to the Negative side of the coil. Which of the 4 wires do I tap into on my 93 Trans Am?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

http://shbox.com/1/93_ign_system_schematic.jpg

I found this on the SHBOX site but I am not sure what is considered the Negative side of the coil.

Joe
Old 09-04-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Regular

After further discussions with MSD they told me that the White Wire and White w/Black Tracer are on the Negative side of the Coil. They told me I could tap into either wire with the White Wire from the MSD 8956 so I tapped into the White wire off of the Coil Harness and everything worked perfectly!

I guess that you shouldnt tap into the wire coming off the ICM that gives the tach signal to the Tachometer as it caused me major issues!

Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSD 8956 RPM Activated Switch Installation