LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What bolts to use Thread locker on.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What bolts to use Thread locker on.

Starting my build today and a little confused on which bolts to use thread locker on. Mains/Rods/Heads etc. All previously stated bolts are all ARP. Should I use ARP lube or Blue thread locker? Should I use thread sealer instead of thread locker on head bolts etc.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to shbox.com

I always used threadlock and safety wire on my crucial components but aircraft engines shake way more than an LT1
Old 09-08-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

On the head bolts I used Permatex Indian head thread sealer on the threads and ARP Ultralube on the underside of the bolt head. Same for the rocker studs.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:54 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im going to sound like a jerk, but I don't think that you should be assembling an engine if you don't know where to use thread locking compound on an engine. In the sbc you only use sealant on the head bolts. The Ross and mains should be done with arp lube and torqued to arp's specs. You should also follow their recommendation on sealant for the head bolts. This way you know it will work. I have only used thread locker on small parts that get higher rpm or vibration. The ign rotor is one example. I have never used locker inside of an engine though.

Sorry for sounding like a jerk
Old 09-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Launching!

^^^ Im going to sound like a jerk but......is there another way to learn other than by Reading, asking, and doing? If you still have the "I know everything about everything all the time" program you used can I borrow it? Ive done extensive reading and studying on the LT1 motor. I've been on this forum almost everyday since 2006, and only have 1XX posts. Wonder why? Its called the search tool. But if I dont find the answer using that, guess what I have to ask. Seems to me that people would appreciate the fact that someone wants to learn more and actually get better at something they enjoy. In my lifetime ive learned you can ask ten different people the same question and get about 7 different answers. I take the information given and then make my own decision as to the the route I will take. Ive got to ask questions if I want to learn.

Really dont want to sound like a jerk either.

Last edited by lt1_2buku; 09-08-2012 at 04:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lt1_2buku:
Eddie Byas (01-09-2021), Regnar67 (11-23-2019)
Old 09-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Launching!

BTW sorry for the rant. Just found out one of my splayed bolt threads let loose and put a screeching halt to my build right before I read your post. But really thanks for the info. Just feeling a little
The following users liked this post:
Eddie Byas (01-09-2021)
Old 09-08-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use red thread locker on flywheel bolts, blue on pressure plate bolts and nything else you don't want vibrating loose like bellhousing bolts transmission bolts etc.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

As said, arp lube on rod and main bolt threads and also under bolt heads,washers and at the surface under the fastener itself and torqued to the manufacturer spec. If using stock bolts the torque values will be using motor oil.Head bolts Arp thread sealant at threads and Arp lube under washers and bolt heads. I like to use blue loctite on the cam retainer,oil pump drive and spider plate. Oil pan and timing cover just a tiny bit of oil on the threads. And anything that threads into aluminum gets a little anti seize. If using Arp flywheel and balancer bolts Arp lube on them as well. If rocker studs hit water then Arp thread sealer,if blind Arp lube. Hope your block threads don't cause you to much trouble.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
I use red thread locker on flywheel bolts, blue on pressure plate bolts and nything else you don't want vibrating loose like bellhousing bolts transmission bolts etc.
Thats all i do, I think i put some red on my oil pump bolts thats about it.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a book with lots of good info, it's cheap and worthwhile to own.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HPB-HP1393/

I used blue thread locker on the oil pump drive bolt, a drop on the cam retainer screws and cam sprocket bolts.
Just keep in mind the strength of the various grades of thread locker.
Red, difficult to impossible to remove without applying heat to soften the compound.
Blue, hand tool removable.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1_2buku
BTW sorry for the rant. Just found out one of my splayed bolt threads let loose and put a screeching halt to my build right before I read your post. But really thanks for the info. Just feeling a little
I understand the being angry. I was just trying to give you an idea of where the thread locker (LocTite) would be used. As for the splayed threads, That sucks, but you should still be able to, of all things, use a Helicoil on it if done properly. I've seen them hold up on high compression engines when used in the head bolts. If it's one of the splayed bolts, you'll be putting a bit more pressure on it, but it should hold up. If it's one of the vertical bolts, it would be more beneficial to use a stud at that point since all of the clamping force is done by the nut.

Good Luck, and hopefully it works out for you. But if you don't feel comfortable repairing it, definitely have a machine shop do it. It shouldn't cost much and there is no extra machine work to do because of it. \

*and the idea behind the advice was to keep you from spending a lot of money down the road should you make a mistake, I hate hearing about guys that forget/mess up something seemingly simple and it costs them a multi-thousand project.*

Quick Reply: What bolts to use Thread locker on.