LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wrecked LT1 T/A to play with. Sell whole, part out, or keep?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Wrecked LT1 T/A to play with. Sell whole, part out, or keep?

On Tuesday morning a semi truck decided to make a right turn from the left turn only lane (I was in the right turn lane) and almost squashed me. I tried to turn off to the far right (in the grass) as quick as I could but his trailer still smacked the back of my car. Unbelievably, the cop didn't cite the semi driver! He didn't cite me either. More importantly I was completely uninjured (other than some mild soreness in my right neck/shoulder).

Insurance already totaled the car, though it does still run and drive. They will try to get my deductible back from the semi driver's insurance company too because they said "yeah he's at fault". They also let me keep the car if I took $800 off the check they gave me. Since it has leather seats... the seats/door panels/dash/airbags alone are worth more than $800.... the engine/trans is worth ~$800 as well. Plus the tons of other good parts and scrap off it...

So I did make a posting on here and got some offers on some of the parts but I do realize parting out the car could be a PITA and I had one guy who wanted to buy the car outright but then basically turned around and was going to lowball me (pay me around or even less than insurance will buy my car for, lol). I'm also going to take the insurance money (they gave me probably more than the car was worth, $6200) and buy a nice looking M6 95... or if that falls through another decent LT1 or cheap LS1.

Anyway what do I do with this car for now?

1. Sell the whole thing for parts or for a body man who wants to rebuild it. Wait until someone doesn't cheap ***/lowball.

2. Get to work girl! Rip everything off it and then get rid of the carcass! Then start selling/shipping parts.

3. Ghetto fix it, put liability only on it, and use it as a third/backup winter car.

4. Half *** fix it and turn it into the ultimate drag car!

5. Half *** fix it and use it as a third/backup winter car.

Here's the point of impact (not even that bad considering it was hit by a 40,000 pound semi):

Heck the school I teach at even has a body shop on another campus, I could let the students work on it... :p
Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I would find a red V6 shell and rebuild it, then insure it as a V6 and save on insurance, pocket the other $5000 or use that to buy mods or another car.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Parting out, it's like being an organ donor. It sucks one died, but many others can now live.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Roxy...long time no chat!

They totalled it for THAT? Is there something I'm missing here? I would say keep it, fix it, pocket the extra coin and keep running it with liability only. No harm there, I would think...
Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres a 95 FireHawk down around me for 5k Id part all you can & scrap the rest!!! But before you do Get the other car & if it needs somethin you wont have to buy it!! You can install that LT1 & trans into a S10 ext cab & leave that motor Stock for a DD thatll get decent milage & go a little wild on the Hawk for a wkend toy Pretty much what Im doin with my 95 T/A & S10 projects. An LT1 4x4 S10 ext cab is a FUN winter ride
Old 09-21-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fix it and use leftovers for the Firehawk.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
Fix it and use leftovers for the Firehawk.
Firehawk?

What are you talking about? Unless it's in reference to the poster above you... I have a 95 Z28 and this wrecked TA...
Old 09-21-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

LoL If I had a LT1 Z28 too Id just part the T/A & keep the money!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:10 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this conversation with my wife a few days ago. I personally would find a roller and then transfer my driveline. Granted I don't have much in my driveline for now, but I'm familiar with the car. I would have a hard time parting with it, or even starting over with another car. But then again, I would also argue with myself over parting it and getting an LSx car......
Old 09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I would find a red V6 shell and rebuild it, then insure it as a V6 and save on insurance, pocket the other $5000 or use that to buy mods or another car.
What he said! Or turn it into a race car!

Joe
Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
LoL If I had a LT1 Z28 too Id just part the T/A & keep the money!!!
We have this thing called winter here....... A stock LT1 or LS1 fbody is great in the snow IF you had snow tires.

A boosted 383... yeah......... no!

Quick Reply: Wrecked LT1 T/A to play with. Sell whole, part out, or keep?