LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1994 firebird rebuild.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1994 firebird rebuild.

well I was in the works of doing a lsx swap In my firebird But I got the run arounds trying to sell my lt1 I have that I got with the car when I got it, so Im goin to Just put the lt1 in the car instead since I have everything. I have some pics over in the lsx section but Ill post them here along with new pics.

as you can see the car has no engine in the car, the guy was doing a ltx swap to it, he got a frt k-member with spindles and shocks and mounts from a trans am and he got the motor out of a roadmaster and sat for a year before I came along, The engine bay needs a good wash.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

pulled all the engine bay wiring and removed the abs units and unwanted wiring from the engine bay, Im planning to keep all the wires inside the cab of the car and hide the lighting wiring and engine wiring that will be coming out of the firewall.

here is the harness that was removed from the engine bay, time to trim off the fat.

Im still not done with the engine bay harness but you can see how much of it has been cleaned up I had more wiring removed than what was in the pics.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

It was time to pull the dash and clean up some of the wiring that I will not need like the air bags and what ever other abs stuff I wont need. the above pic is before I started.

I tell you this what a pain it was pulling this dash, I had Just gotten home that day from a 10hr work day and I started to pull the dash with the help of my son when you can find him lol he came and went, and he had to take a pic of dad working on the dash and kept asking when he can drive the race car lol. Well my plan was to remove all the ac related stuff and keep the factory heater box and make a block of plate, but that all didnt go as planed, turns out the hvac box was broken guess the guy before me had tried to remove it or something so plan B, Im goin to go with a aftermarket under dash unit with defrost which is need when Im driving this thing on the kooler nights. So I had made a cardbord template for the gaint hole in the firewall which will be installed from the inside and I will mount the new smaller heater unit once I go ahead and order one still looking for a unit tho.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Default engine wiring

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps1a76d371.jpg

Here I had started to build my engine harness since it had come out of a buick and not a f-body it wasnt really plug and play like that P/O thought it would be, so I D-pinned the pcm connectors and labled all the wires and laid them out on the engine trying to keep them nice a neat and tight so it would like clean. I gotta say this harness was a lot easyer than doing the lsx harness I was making for my iroc. Pretty much the harness is all done just need to reinstall on the engine and put the motor in the car to see where I wanna run the wiring inside the car. also I dont have pics yet but Ill be running a lsx style maf senors on this motor.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Default alt relocation

well I thought I would try and relocate my alt lower On the motor since I dont like the top of the motor being so busy looking, But being out of a roadmaster the brackets are alittle different than the f-body, It would work but the p.s out points right at the alternator connector so Im goin to mount the p.s pump on the driver side using this brakcet.

its from flaming river and adjust in and out for proper pulleys I still trying to figure out what to do with the alternator I may modif the bracket and put a adjuster on the alternator for the belt install. But I think my daughter did a pretty good job on the alternator relocation her self. Not bad for only being 19months old.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Default wheels, tires and brakes.

I picked a up set of 2003 z06 wheels this past weekend 17x9.5 frt with 265 and 18x10.5 with 295 rear, I was talking to my wheel and tire guy and he said he can fit a set of 315 on the rear wheels, I told him I just want the widest I can put on the rear wheels, also I got my ls1 spindle for my brake swap I was goin to do cts-v frt brakes but ill put the ls1 brakes I have left over from my iroc build to save costs, which the rear will also have ls1 brakes too, i couldnt get over how light these wheels are when I picked them up frt tires are like new and the rear have about one season left but this guy use to road race his vette so.
As for the motor Im goin to keep it stock for now but if I can find a nice can to put into before the motor gose in for good till the next turn down Ill swap it in, I also have a set of shorty headers I got from the guy I bought the car from so that was good wish they were long tubes tho . Im planning on dressing up the motor tho with some alumin valve covers Im goin to clean up the intake and paint it the body color or just red and polish up the fuel rails and water pump and T/b I plan to build my own cold air intake and I have relocated the coil from the frt of the motor to the back. Im also working on deal on a 96 caprice the wants 600 bucks for the whole car and its an ex cop car with a rebuilt 5.7 if I get that before I put the motor in Ill put the rebuild motor in the bird and do build on the first Lt1 . well that brings it up to date for now.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

Theres a new CC 503 in Parts Keep up the work Im rebuildin my 95 T/A so I feel your pain!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

I checked out the parts section I couldnt find the cam no biggy Im sure I will find one. I was planning on swapping over to a T/A kit on the car but the stock bumper are growing on me and kind looks good with the z06 wheels on the car. I should Have the car hauled over to my parents place where I have the motor and k-member in 2 weeks, so I can start on the wiring and wash the engine bay which is dirty from sitting for 2 years before anyone did any real work on it. Im still waiting on my spindle too come back from powder coating which will be silver and the calipers Im goin to Have taken apart and have powder coated red.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Well i got an email from summit this weekend stating my bracket i had ordered is on back order so my money had been refund back to me, so looks like im goin to do the budget relocation unit i can get funds to get the speed inc set up, i figure ill go that way cause i been having some thought of procharging the car down the road. But hoping that this week ill put my motor on the engine stand to pull the oil pan and clean up the block for some paint before i put the motor in the car, also i have an oil cooler setup that has the oil runnin up to the rad but im goin to tap the housing and have them looped together for now cause later on ill make my own oil cooler system with the nicer lines and cooler insead of goin to the rad.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

well I think its time to move my car over to my dads shop where Im not working on it in the snow.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

well this weekend I did some workt to the motor I gave it a bath and cleaned all the oil build up from the motor and Intake and gave it some paint, this week Ill pull the oil pan off and replace the gasket and put it back together and soon itll finds it new home in the engine bay of the car.

took me about an hour or so cleaning the intake with a wire wheel and eletric drill.

the block got sprayed and the timing cover I still need to give it one more clean with a smaller brush to get in some areas I couldnt with a rag, The water pump I still need to clean up and paint, the fuel rails I have apart at the monet to finish polishing the rails and than Ill put them back to gether and back on the intake they go, hopefully this week ill finish putting the motor to gether and back in the car it will go.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill be pulling mine here very soon for a rebuild. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

are those aluminum heads ? If so they didn't come from a road master, I believe they all had the iron heads. Looking good, and make sure you replace the oil pan gasket while the motor is out. Makes it much easier that way
Old 10-15-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djjab57
are those aluminum heads ? If so they didn't come from a road master, I believe they all had the iron heads. Looking good, and make sure you replace the oil pan gasket while the motor is out. Makes it much easier that way
No doubt, i just got done replacing mine a few weeks ago. Talk about a PITA.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like a fun project. Reminds me of my build. Good luck!!! Keep the pics coming.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Looks like a good swap man.

Might want to think about replacing your rod bolts while your inside the oil pan. Maybe check your bearings too, just to be safe.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by cprmn14; 11-09-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

those are the iron heads that I had painted silver, I have the oil pan gasket sitting on my tool box Just waiting for the new oil pan to show up cause this one is rusted pretty bad. I had found another lt1 motor for cheap that Im goin to use for a builder motor so this one will be stock other than headers and cold air intake, I had the oil pan off once already and the rod bearings looked good no play or anything. hoping this week Ill have more done to the motor and start cleaning up the k-member before the motor gose on to it. Any one rec good spark plug wires, Im looking for a brand where I can make my own length wire for a cleaner look?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Taylor Spiro-Pro #73251
and LS1 boot ends Taylor # 46069
Taylor wire crimpers, #43390
Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Launching!

minus the ls1 boots, sorry thats from a ls1 coil conversion
Old 10-18-2012, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

I would need to get the lt1 boot ends for the dist right ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 firebird rebuild.