LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

No start soon after MSD cap and rotor?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start soon after MSD cap and rotor?

Ok so here is goes try to follow..... The last 8 months I've had a very random miss low RPM high load condition. I replaced the opti over 6 years ago and drive it fairly aggressively so I figured time for a opti and tune up so I bought the MsD cap and rotor and new TR55ix plugs and new MSD wires. I was not very happy with the installation of the new cap and rotor but after I was done seemed fine. Had to call MSD hotline cause there was 2 washers that didn't fit the rotor and had an extra oring seal undescribed...(they told me to throw out the washers and that the second seal is for different casted opti sparks). So I got it all back together and started it up idled "ok" reved "ok" and I was topping off coolant and heard a ticking noise under the water pump- located a pinhole in the resin right under the coil plug on cap. Shut it off and was pissed so now I am th inking how can I get it home so I put epoxy over the little hole to drive it home only. I let the 1.5 dry time epoxy dry for 10 mins and start the engine and it cranks long and then starts and stalls. I try restart and it won't start? I check coil no spark I then check ground out of injector it will be dim then go out a couple revs then be 1 bright and then out completely again( very intermitant) I can't believe applying expoxy to the face of the cap could cause a no start? I have access to a Tech2 and set no codes and can watch low res but don't know what it should look like? Any insight would be very helpful I am guessing the optical sensor may have went but it was running for a while to heat up and bleed coolant.

Oh and the miss was a cracked electrode on one of the plugs
Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I ended up replacing the opti. I scoped the low res and was getting very irregular waveform and next to no waveform for hi res. for all who want to know the low res is what starts the engine it indicates tdc for each cyl. Hi res is for advanced timing. The large windows of the opti wheel are all different sizes to indicate to the PCM which cylinder it's at. There are 2-5volt ref signals that are sent to the optic sensor as the tone wheel travels through the opti wheel you voltage with switch from 5v to 0v and that is the waveform you will see with a scope only, volt meters are nowhere near fast enough. I still have no clue how I drove the car in and did a msd cap and rotor and after the opti sensor is shot but its running great now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No start soon after MSD cap and rotor?