LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

SLP Header question and header questions in general

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Header question and header questions in general

Found a deal on some SLP mids with the single Cat. My car is a 97 SS with the optional "dual/dual" from SLP. Will I need to purchase a new I-pipe as well if I go with these headers? I'd like to keep the dual/dual.

Second, if these will work for me, I'd like to send them off to get coated. Any recommendations?

Third, my wife will be driving this car for 9 months and therefore, needs cats. If these won't work, can you recommend another option that comes with a catted Y that isn't going to cost me 2000.00 installed (I.E. Kooks).
Thanks
Old 10-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Your stock y-pipe will not work with them.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Your stock y-pipe will not work with them.
Yeah, understood. The Headers come with a single catted Y-pipe. Not sure if they will match up correctly with my SLP D/D. It has been awhile since I was in the LTx game and I thought that the Intermediate pipes changed lengths between 93-95 and 96-97?

Just can't seem to find a stainless or quality coated set of Headers for under 1000.00 that include a catted Y-pipe. The Kooks, SW and ARH are all going to run me nearly 2K installed as I will not be doing the install.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I don't think the I-pipe would be a direct fit onto the y-pipe. If you have to get inspected for emissions it opens up a whole can of worms especially if you get a nosy tech who checks to see if the cats have been tampered with. Even though you would have a cat you would still fail since laws state that year of vehicle has two. The other issue is the rear O2 sensors. I am not sure even with O2 sims it would fool the inspection computer into a "ready" status. I am not sure on that one. It may be a non issue if you have enough sensors that are in a "ready" status to pass your state's quota. I can't remember how many it is, but you can only have maybe two or three sensors reading "not ready" and still pass. From what I am told they can also be tuned to fool the scanner and read "ready."
Old 10-14-2012, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got SLP single cat headers and they're very well made and fit great. The SLP y-pipe connects to the I pipe at the stock location by the trans tailshaft. As far as I know all the 93-97 I pipes are the same (check out the application breakdowns for aftermarket cat backs), when the LS1 came along GM changed the I pipe. I believe that the headers and y-pipe will bolt up to a stock I pipe, not sure about your SLP Dual Dual. Is that just a muffler and tail pipes? Like SSR said since you're OBD2 you'll have issues at emission testing time if they look under the car. In Illinois all they do for OBD2 cars is plug into the ALDL port with no visual inspection.

I picked my SLP headers up used and they were already coated, all I had to do was buff them up with some scotchbrite pad and they cleaned right up. I believe SLP sold them coated. One thing to watch for with the single cat SLP headers is to make sure you have all the emissions ports you'll need if you are going to use the air and egr ports. My headers are for a '93 and have no egr port, that was not a problem for me as I deleted the air and egr, but it sounds like you will need those things so make sure you get a configuration that will work with your engine.

In the attached picture I have a cutout instead of a cat connected to my SLP y-pipe. The y-pipe/cutout is attached to my stock I pipe.

Last edited by guppymech; 10-17-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

I think it will matter only on your inspection, Not sure what test you have to pass but it will fail visual inspection and possibly the sniffer test if thats what you have to do.

Quick Reply: SLP Header question and header questions in general