LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

?How to, Figuring out what the guy(s) did to this car before I got it.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?How to, Figuring out what the guy(s) did to this car before I got it.

In a nutshell purchased the car not running for cheap. Put the labor into getting it running. Driven about 1,000 miles. Was told it was cammed, dyno tuned ect. Just taking off the oil cap you can see aftermarket rockers. So here I am today. Sent the PCM to Solomon to get the fans changed and emissions crap off and he confirmed for me the PCM was dead stock. the car sounds cammed, but I've never heard a cam through stock manifolds so maybe something else is causing that sound I wannabe sure these guys didn't half *** mod it. I'd rather them just be lying about everything. But it drives and sounded like a baby cam is at least in it.

My idea was to get the cable and software to read live data from my car and pass that info along to Solomon if needed and tune according to that. Would that work or do I cross my fingers it doesn't blow up? I'm getting ready for headers and true duals on this thing then I found this out.

Last edited by 02v8ta; 10-26-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're on the right path to getting it figured out. I think the thing I would worry about most is if the injectors were changed and not tuned for. As long as you don't beat it before you figure it out it should live.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Not cost effective but can you get a baseline dyno or 1/4 mile time? Might hint at a cam or not.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a good idea of how to figure it out without ripping the engine apart to see if the cam is stock or not. To bad you dont have an AFR guage to make sure your not running lean and in danger of detonating the engine. Certainly check it out however so you dont blow the thing up If they did half *** it.

Quick Reply: ?How to, Figuring out what the guy(s) did to this car before I got it.