LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 coil -- which side is positive and negative

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default lt1 coil -- which side is positive and negative

1995 z28... have two connectors going to in my msd coil a black connector and a grey connector... is the grey connector the positive and negative side... pink/strips positive and white/stripes negative???
Old 10-27-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

There really is not a positive and negative side according to the schematic. Both of those leads are tied to positive voltage. Perhaps the bigger question is why you are asking?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shbox
There really is not a positive and negative side according to the schematic. Both of those leads are tied to positive voltage. Perhaps the bigger question is why you are asking?
cause I have to hook up my crane ignition. and it shows the orange / black wires off the crane going to the positive and negative side... but not sure if the orange / black goes to the black or grey connector side
Old 10-27-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Maybe someone that has done a Crane install can tell you.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull the plug off the coil. turn the ignition on and use a test light to find which one is hot. There is your positive.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
pull the plug off the coil. turn the ignition on and use a test light to find which one is hot. There is your positive.
Don't think that is going to work. When he unplugs the coil, the only thing he will see power on is the solid pink wire. That power loops inside the coil to the other wires he is interested in only when the coil is plugged in.

The pink/black and white/black with both have voltage on them when viewed from the ICM connector (goes to A and D terminals on the ICM).

OP, doesn't Crane have an LT1 specific (2 connector coil) wiring diagram?
Old 10-28-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

The pink strips indicate switched 12v.the white is the grounding part of the coil system which causes the coil to discharge the voltage. so yes to answer your question. Pink stripes/positive and white/negative. I referred from the msd installation instructions for the gm dual connector coil.
http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedF...uctions(1).pdf

Page 14
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

I figured one of the manufacturers would have the info. I was just saying that using a meter to look at voltage was not going to tell him which was which.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
The pink strips indicate switched 12v.the white is the grounding part of the coil system which causes the coil to discharge the voltage. so yes to answer your question. Pink stripes/positive and white/negative. I referred from the msd installation instructions for the gm dual connector coil.
http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedF...uctions(1).pdf

Page 14
I went roundy round with MSD on this as well when I was trying to hook up my shift light! After talking to the third person there, they told me that the White was the Grounding side as well!

Quick Reply: lt1 coil -- which side is positive and negative