LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

EGR Removal Question

Old 11-19-2012, 07:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EGR Removal Question

I am new to all of this so please excuse me.

Can I keep the EGR valve in place and only block off the egr gas entry hole on the back of the intake manifold that comes from the passenger side header or will this cause issues? I assume this is ok, as long as I get the car tuned to remove the egr codes? I am OBD II and emissions is just plug in.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

What are your mods? Just removing the EGR if the car is stock or even with a mild cam does not necessarily mean there will be any sort of power gain. If you want go to through with it you can just remove the EGR, block the vacuum port and keep the solenoid plugged in. If you block the EGR port there is no reason to block the passenger side exhuast gas port because it is plumbed to the EGR port therefore making it redundant.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

A good, sealing EGR valve is essentially its own block off plate when vacuum is removed and it cannot operate.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is basically stock with headers (that have emission fittings) rockers, stock cam, cold air intake and cat back etc. I was leaning towards disabling the egr thru a tune but leaving the valve in place and just putting a block off plate for the egr gas port entry on the intake manfold and at the passeneger header. Will this be sufficient? or do I have to also disconnect the vacuum feed and block that hole(I think this is what Shoebox suggests)? Maybe I should either keep it all connected and working as stock or remove the valve and block it off so I dont have to worry about the valve not sealing one day?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EGR Removal Question