LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

'93 tune (chip) or Seafoam causing funky idle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default '93 tune (chip) or Seafoam causing funky idle?

I purchased a bolt-on tune for my '93 auto TA - headers, exhaust, CAI. The tuner suggested seafoaming the motor before installing the tune... so I purchased the spray version, followed the instructions, etc. I also installed the chip at the same time. Theres a good chance at least an oz or two of the spray drained down into the IAC hole

Since then, the car searches for an idle surging from 600 - 1200 until reaching operating temp where it settles at ~900. In drive, it raises to 1500 and holds regardless of temps.

Could the seafoam have f-ed up the IAC or any other sensors in the TB? OR, should I have the tune looked at?

FYI, car idled just fine minutes before the seafoam/tune. I can easily swap it back. I do know the wrong TB plate gasket was installed so I have a new one on the way but there was no leak...

TIA
Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly why you only do one thing at a time. My suggestion is take the tune chip out because you cant take the Sea Foam out and see what happens. If the car is happy, the Tune is Bad. If the car is the same, look at the IAC since you say there may be an issue there!

Joe

Quick Reply: '93 tune (chip) or Seafoam causing funky idle?