LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help diagnosing stumbling LT1...

Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help diagnosing stumbling LT1...

My mother has a 94 Roadmaster with a LT1 under the hood. It has run pretty well its life until recently when it started stumbling under load when you first go to roll it off the line. I can rev it in park or neutral and it will be as smooth as it could be but if I put it in drive or reverse, it wants to stall out when you start it rolling away from a stop.

*I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator
*I have run a compression test and it is fine
*I have checked for vacuum line issues and found none
*I have changed out all 8 spark plugs (I will post a pic of the plugs that were removed shortly)

I am running out of ideas to look. I have read that maybe a bad EGR can cause issues like this. I know the car is on the original opti since I have done all the work to it for quite a while and it never acted up before now in the entire time she has had it.

Anybody else have any ideas or things to test out? The only ideas I have left are:

*manifold leak somewhere
*failing optispark
*faulty injector(s)
*EGR issue

Thoughts?

Last edited by Project10AE; 12-03-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do a live scan of the datastream. Look at the tps, should be around .65-.69 @0%. slack in the cable can have some effect as well. Mine was at .62 and i developed a slight stumble because the throttle blades were opening before the computer saw 1%+ so it saw a lean condition, so i adjusteded upward. Is the car tuned? Adding timing can help as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should double check your wires for burns... then triple check them if you dont find anything.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a misfire. Check your primary and secondary ignition system. I would say you are most likely gonna need a new cap and rotor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help diagnosing stumbling LT1...