LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Well i got it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well i got it.

For those that had an input on my oil priming thread, here it is. I'll update what happens when I fire it up. Worst Case I WILL make back my money in parts alone and re-invest. Try to be nice, but i'll appreciate any advice I know it's a gamble.
Here's a copy and paste what the car has done.
Block decked and honed.
CC 306 Cam
2.02 intake 1.6 exhaust trickflo valves
ported heads
Electric water pump
58mm throttle body
Canton oil pan
Melling hi volume oil pump
36lb injectors
Walbro fuel pump
Tr555 plugs
MSD "tunable" optispark
MSD wires K&N intake
Bosch 02s! hoping they do until i see if it's worth investing in Delco's
Nice Rebuilt trans, normal suspension upgrades still in great shape, Stock Rear.
Came with the lt1 scanmaster hooked up. Oh and 3" true dual into mangaflow mufflers dumped at the rear, EGR delete, Madz tuned for the mods.

And this is what happened un loading it from the trailer, see rear tire.

And here she sits. Right now I have to fix the coolant hose that the belt shredded, battery, and changing the oil to a fresh 5w-30 conventional oil.

Last edited by 02v8ta; 12-03-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Well haven't fired it yet, working two jobs has been killer for free time. Anyway tire fixed. I dropped the old oil tonight which looked brand new, smelled fuel as soon as i took off the oil filter so guessing it needs more tuning. I just need to fix the one broken coolant line and see what happens.

Now, can the coolant line on the water pump that runs down to the bottom of the drivers side rad be blocked off? because it is

Last edited by 02v8ta; 12-08-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car doesnt look to bad. hopefully everything else is good too
Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Cool, the flat color dosnt look to bad. should be a fun car once you get everything working correctly.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would call it a gamble.
2.02/1.6 valves don't fit stock seats properly and the guys who have gone to the extra expense of new seats haven't actually gone any faster than 2.00/1.56 so I would consider those an expression of ignorance by whomever built the car. If they spent the money on seats that was dumb, if they halfassed the valvejob to reuse the stock seats and left the big valve in the way of the small seat that was dumb.

The 306 cam pretty much fits the "expression of ignorance" phrase too.

Canton oilpan, did he take care of the leaks and the lack of windage control or do you have to do that? Only a minority of users find it to be a decent piece.

HV oilpump, are you hoping to flip this car before that shreds the oilpump drive? Again "expression of ignorance" fits perfectly.

Was the 58mm TB drilled and sealed to the IAC?

TR55 plugs should be too hot if they raised compression as they should have.

MSD opti, well you will get mixed reviews on that, but you can usually find a used one cheap after someone has it rebuilt by MSD and decides never to put it back on their own car.

There was actually a technical explanation around as to why the Bosch O2s suck on the LT1, forgot to bookmark it but everyone has known they sucked on this car for a decade plus so chalk that one up to "expression of ignorance" too.

No doubt the person you bought this trainwreck from thought they were doing a very good job and in reality built a bad joke. This is the sort of car that gives LT1s a reputation for being unreliable and slow.

Make it run right and ebay it to the next sucker hopefully making a profit.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
2.02/1.6 valves don't fit stock seats properly and the guys who have gone to the extra expense of new seats haven't actually gone any faster than 2.00/1.56 so I would consider those an expression of ignorance by whomever built the car. If they spent the money on seats that was dumb, if they halfassed the valvejob to reuse the stock seats and left the big valve in the way of the small seat that was dumb.

Canton oilpan, did he take care of the leaks and the lack of windage control or do you have to do that? Only a minority of users find it to be a decent piece.

HV oilpump, are you hoping to flip this car before that shreds the oilpump drive? Again "expression of ignorance" fits perfectly.

MSD opti, well you will get mixed reviews on that, but you can usually find a used one cheap after someone has it rebuilt by MSD and decides never to put it back on their own car.

There was actually a technical explanation around as to why the Bosch O2s suck on the LT1, forgot to bookmark it but everyone has known they sucked on this car for a decade plus so chalk that one up to "expression of ignorance" too.

No doubt the person you bought this trainwreck from thought they were doing a very good job and in reality built a bad joke. This is the sort of car that gives LT1s a reputation for being unreliable and slow.

There's that tech critique I was waiting for.

he SAID the leaks were all taken care of, implying he knew they're known for leaking. From what i've seen on my back, car 2 inches from my face it looks alright, time will tell.

For the HV oil pump, i was assuming that'd be an issue if the stock oil pump gear drive was re-used. They're plastic right? I always read 50/50 reviews on here with people actually running stock ones, hv pumps with good success. Maybe they're the lucky ones?

Is there a better plug for this car I could run?

As far as the Opti i'm hoping my streak of "run the most basic opti you can find" keeps working out for me, I didn't install this one though And I was waiting to see at least what the initial start up yields before buying new 02's for it. I wish i knew the explanation for why they're crap but hoping they suffice for what I need them too.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Launching!

If you can get the car to start, run, and stay together, enjoy the crap out of it and drive it until the wheels fall off. I would've bought it because I don't mind a little challenge. To me that's all the fun.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would put a TR6 or Autolite 104 in it and see how it is. My first heads/cam setup though I found TR55 to be too hot.
Since it says the block was decked I would hope the compression is well into the 11s so a "stock heat" TR55 should be too hot.

I wish I had bookmarked the Bosch explanation but I didn't and I haven't found it again. It is not that they are a bad product, they just have some sort of conflict with our system.

The stock oilpump drive stub is plastic but the gear is metal and that is what gets destroyed by HV pumps.

A basic mild NA smallblock getting a HV pump though is kind of a red flag. It could be useful in an extreme power setup with loose clearances or something but this is a LONG LONG ways from that. It is strictly a liability, risks damage to the drive, makes the oil hotter, more likely to cavitate, and takes a little more power to turn.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BOOSTED AFR
If you can get the car to start, run, and stay together, enjoy the crap out of it and drive it until the wheels fall off. I would've bought it because I don't mind a little challenge. To me that's all the fun.
Yeah that's how i'm trying to look at it. My investment is in the parts alone and hopefully I can have some fun with this **** eventually.

I would put a TR6 or Autolite 104 in it and see how it is. My first heads/cam setup though I found TR55 to be too hot.
Since it says the block was decked I would hope the compression is well into the 11s so a "stock heat" TR55 should be too hot.

I wish I had bookmarked the Bosch explanation but I didn't and I haven't found it again. It is not that they are a bad product, they just have some sort of conflict with our system.

The stock oilpump drive stub is plastic but the gear is metal and that is what gets destroyed by HV pumps.

A basic mild NA smallblock getting a HV pump though is kind of a red flag. It could be useful in an extreme power setup with loose clearances or something but this is a LONG LONG ways from that. It is strictly a liability, risks damage to the drive, makes the oil hotter, more likely to cavitate, and takes a little more power to turn.
Thanks for all the info.

Had not even an hour of light after work today, fixed the coolant line and hooked up an old battery in the dark and tried to fire it just to hear it. Kept clicking/cutting out. The starter is f'd or i'm hoping the battery didn't have a proper connection since i did it in the dark by hand only. Maybe tomorrow or wednesday.....
Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

well i FINALLY had time to get a new battery after all the prep work and turn the key. Fired up eventually. Now, I can't let it run quite yet until i make sure the coolant hose is outta the way and have coolant to top the system off. But upon starting it the scanmaster was reading high knock retard. I think 7.0-8.0 at first then down to 0.7 Only ran the car for 45 seconds at most for several times. If i gave it gas it stalled out. So 1 is this normal readings for a cold start car, it's been high 30's here lately. and if not could this be from the shity 02 sensors that are now on my list to replace. Everything is hooked up btw. MAF, cold air intake, crappy 02's, I was happy the SES light didn't start flashing

EDIT: Did the gm/ delco sensors fall off the earth? I've found one seller on ebay claiming to have the delco sensors but i'm doubting the picture. Gmpartsdirect use to have them and a gm seller on ebay both don't seem to have any more?

Last edited by 02v8ta; 12-30-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check for delphi O2's might be easier to find. How old is the gas thats in the car? If its old it might cause a false knock from it not combusting properly. Bad knock sensors and LT headers can cause false knock conditions.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Found these for $25 gotta be better than bosch?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=991990

The gas is less than a year old but I guess couldn't hurt to add some fresh gas.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just get these:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-AFS75-Oxygen-Sensor/dp/B000C9VTS6/ http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-AFS75-Oxygen-Sensor/dp/B000C9VTS6/
Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OnA Fan
How the F does this not show up through google... thanks
Old 12-31-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

since this happened before your car went in to closed loop then changing the O2s won't solve your knock issue.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matts94Z28

Generally as a rule of thumb you should listen to those that go fast... Lots of good info here folks.. Read between the lines.
The problem with the Bosch o2's is the lean/rich threshold is wrong.

Op I'm curious how long the car sat and if the gas and filter is crap....?

Last edited by defaultexistence; 12-31-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

It had been running with the gas that's in the car maybe 6-7 months ago, I'm not sure how long it was in there before that. Even for a year that shouldn't kill the fuel filter would it?

So now after adding alittle fresh premium and lowering the rear of the car back down it wont fire up. It will briefly if i floor it cutting out the injectors, so that means it's flooded or shity gas? I don't know what its problem is now, it's getting fuel to the rails If i keep it floored wont i redline it? What would be the cause from the car starting and idling to what i described now?

Edit; disconnected the batt for the hell of it made no difference, all i smell is gas galore. I guess i'm stuck replacing the fuel filter and seeing what that does?

Last edited by 02v8ta; 12-31-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by defaultexistence
Generally as a rule of thumb you should listen to those that go fast... Lots of good info here folks.. Read between the lines.
The problem with the Bosch o2's is the lean/rich threshold is wrong.

Op I'm curious how long the car sat and if the gas and filter is crap....?
I agree. I have yet to see any of the originals who have gone fast in this thread.

OP, your best bet will be to order from amazon. Also, remember that if you need extensions be sure to get a quality product.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

My car did the same and hate to say it cause we all hate changing them but yes another opti issue

Quick Reply: Well i got it.