LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti-Spark replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opti-Spark replacement options

I recently purchased a 1997 Camaro SS 30th Anniversary Hardtop off of eBay with 70K miles. I bought the car for 2 reasons. 1.) I always wanted one as I think they are the best looking 4th production car. 2.) I wanted a cruise/show car to compliment my 1999 Z28 1LE Racecar.

I had the car shipped to Tick Performance in N.C.

I am deployed in Afghanistan for 8 more months and Tick is doing the Mods/improvements for me and have been wonderful to work with.

They received the car and did an inspection and the car is showing signs of a failing Opti-Spark. I just ordered thru them a few days back a set of Kooks 1 3/4" Headers with a Catted Ypipe.

Now keep in mind I am not made of money. I am however a believer in doing things the right way. If indeed the Opti needs to be replaced, what are your recommendations for brands/replacing. Additionally, it is my understanding that the crank pulley and the water pump need to be removed in the process? Is the BBK U/D pulley worth the 70 dollar price tag and is replacing the mechanical waterpump with an electric piece a wise idea when it comes to cost/H.P. ratio and reliability?

Thank you for your time.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Get an OEM AC/Delco or Delphi. Rumors are that all AC/Delco's are now remanufactured, but I'm not sure whether that is true. If that is the case, I would probably get a Delphi.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Just priced one yesterday at O'reilly... NEW OEM Delco.. $219.99 w your core... I too recently purchased a 97 SS....
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Launching!

+2, go to the dealership. If im not mistaken the GM unit is the only opti with the mitsibishi optical sensor.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scoobie

Now keep in mind I am not made of money. I am however a believer in doing things the right way. If indeed the Opti needs to be replaced, what are your recommendations for brands/replacing. Additionally, it is my understanding that the crank pulley and the water pump need to be removed in the process? Is the BBK U/D pulley worth the 70 dollar price tag and is replacing the mechanical waterpump with an electric piece a wise idea when it comes to cost/H.P. ratio and reliability?

Thank you for your time.
There is no need for an electric water pump or the pulley if you are just going to cruise the car. I bought an ATI since my stock one was not in the best of shape. Since the balancer can be unbolted from the hub, I can replace the opti without have to pull the balancer. Little pricy thou.

Not on to the question opti question.
generally are rated in this order.
Dynaspark or AC delco
MSD

Then everything else.

I also have a MSD for sale.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by cprmn14
+2, go to the dealership.
I wouldn't go to any dealership. The one by me wants over $600.00. I would try these places first:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#GM_parts
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Originally Posted by fex77k
Not on to the question opti question.
generally are rated in this order.
Dynaspark or AC delco
MSD

Then everything else.

I also have a MSD for sale.
Who rates them in that order? Personally, and this is just based upon my own research, I wouldn't even consider anything beyond an AC/Delco or Delphi. Dynaspark apparently ain't what it used to be, and I'm not sure MSD has ever been what it was supposed to be, or claimed to be.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I wouldn't go to any dealership. The one by me wants over $600.00. I would try these places first:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#GM_parts
I agree. I've purchased lots of stuff from Jason @ Sam Taylor Buick, and it's always been around 50% cheaper than my local dealer.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BTC
Who rates them in that order? Personally, and this is just based upon my own research, I wouldn't even consider anything beyond an AC/Delco or Delphi. Dynaspark apparently ain't what it used to be, and I'm not sure MSD has ever been what it was supposed to be, or claimed to be.
Me.

The older Dyna's were bomb proof, I don't know what they are like today. I've had mixed sucsess with MSD and my AC delco only failed me since I blew the rotor in half.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fex77k
Me.

The older Dyna's were bomb proof, I don't know what they are like today. I've had mixed sucsess with MSD and my AC delco only failed me since I blew the rotor in half.
I've also heard the old Dynasparks were nice pieces, but I believe the company has changed hands and they no longer use the Mitsubishi sensor, which is one of the most important components. I believe they are still priced as if they're a premium piece, and I dont' believe that's the case anymore.

I don't believe MSD uses the Mitsubishi optical sensor either, but I'm not certain about that. I just don't believe that there is any benefit to paying more for a unit that is generally considered to not be as reliable as the OEM units.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BTC
I've also heard the old Dynasparks were nice pieces, but I believe the company has changed hands and they no longer use the Mitsubishi sensor, which is one of the most important components. I believe they are still priced as if they're a premium piece, and I dont' believe that's the case anymore.

I don't believe MSD uses the Mitsubishi optical sensor either, but I'm not certain about that. I just don't believe that there is any benefit to paying more for a unit that is generally considered to not be as reliable as the OEM units.
MSD uses their own sensor, it is pretty solid. I've had one survive some carnage. Biggest issue is the rotors coming off on the MSD.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Launching!

You could always get the LTCC unit to run LS1 coils. Your old opti may still work well enough to run that setup without an issue. Basically what it does is it takes the spark out of the optispark. It used the optical sensor for spark distribution and advance as LS1 cars use a halo and crank sensor. You still need the opti to run your injectors so there is no getting rid of it entirely but the LTCC will improve the reliability and boost the spark energy. If you wanted to get crazy, you could get a new opti, pull it apart, remove the rotor and bolt it back together with silicone for added security. By removing the rotor, you remove the chance of the thing grenading on you one day... happened once to me.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pullies are pretty much worthless on these cars since the waterpump is driven by the timing chain, and the one you are thinking about is a piggy back setup which is a huge step back compared to the stock one. I have the 23% asp pulley since it actually replaces the stock one unlike the cheap ones out there, but I doubt I gained more than 1-2hp with it.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

I bought a car done from advance. I was tight on cash and if I remember right it was right around $200 and came with a lifetime warranty so I figured why not. 10k miles and still good. Granted I may have gotten lucky
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

I bought mine from O'Reilly. Failed on me when my heater hose decided to completely soak it in hot coolant. Took it in and got a replacement with no questions asked. Been about 15k miles now with no headaches. It's made by Richporter, part number gm05 at O'Reilly.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rich5368
I bought a car done from advance. I was tight on cash and if I remember right it was right around $200 and came with a lifetime warranty so I figured why not. 10k miles and still good. Granted I may have gotten lucky
A lifetime warranty on something like that means very little when you would be out $50 in gaskets and coolant + wasting a days worth of time.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobie
I recently purchased a 1997 Camaro SS 30th Anniversary Hardtop off of eBay with 70K miles. I bought the car for 2 reasons. 1.) I always wanted one as I think they are the best looking 4th production car. 2.) I wanted a cruise/show car to compliment my 1999 Z28 1LE Racecar.

I had the car shipped to Tick Performance in N.C.

I am deployed in Afghanistan for 8 more months and Tick is doing the Mods/improvements for me and have been wonderful to work with.

They received the car and did an inspection and the car is showing signs of a failing Opti-Spark. I just ordered thru them a few days back a set of Kooks 1 3/4" Headers with a Catted Ypipe.

Thank you for your time.
First I want to thank you for your service to our country.

Next some folks on here do not seem to comprehend the meaning of "not made of money". I do. I did the exact same job last year. I bought a Cardone opti off of ebay for less than 100 bucks. I also comitted another LT1 sin by putting on a rebuilt water pump at the same time from Oreillys. Yes this in NOT my daily driver but do drive it a couple times a week to work and running around weekends. No problems. 200 - 300 bucks or 95 bucks. If someday I had to do it again. I would still come out cheaper.

I have the underdrive pulley. It came with the car. I don't seem to have any charging issues but I can not tell you how much or if there was a performance improvement.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

<<<< still uses stock opti Buy a LTCC and remove the high voltage from it and it perfect.> Thread
Old 12-07-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

I bought a new Delphi off of Amazon for a pretty good price. Took it apart after I received it and verified it did have the Mitsubishi sensor. It's only been in there around a year but no problems yet.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

AC Delco/Delphi if you're practically stock
MSD if you're heads, cammed and spinning over 6500 rpm
and I don't give a rats *** what anyone says

Quick Reply: Opti-Spark replacement options