LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

odd fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd fuel problem

The car is a 1994 formula with a small cam, headers, stall, madz28 tune 30lb fic injectors as well as some other supporting stuff. i have been battling a fuel problem with the car for about six months now and cant seem to figure this out.
The damn thing is so rich its pushing fuel out the tail pipes when it does run and will hydrolock after being turned off. i have to drain 1 or 2 cylinders by removing plugs in order to start it every time! heres a list of things i have tried to do

-sent injectors back to the manufacter on three seperate occasions to be checked.
-replaced fuel regulator
-unplugged the 02s
-tested the coolant temp sensor
-the car will actually start and idle with the injector fuses pulled(very shitty but it will idle)
-fuel pressure is around 40psi with the it not running.

i am pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. i wouldnt think the tune could cause it to hydrolock.

Any ideas would help! sorry for the long post
Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Teching In

uh..... Check the tune maybe? MAF?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Could a bad tune really cause this much fuel to be entering the cylinders? i am talking visible raw fuel coming out of the tail pipes as well as 2 cylinders becoming hydrolocked.
I have isolated two cylinders and pulled the injectors. i couldnt see any visible damage, however i am going to check for a short in the injector wiring to see if maybe i melted some wires on the headers or something. Is there a test i can perform to determine if a injector is stuck open?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But a scanner on it and see what the computer is reading for ambient air temp... if that sensor broke or went bad..... the computer may be reading way cold temps... and dumping fuel...

When we did my first engine, we broke that sensor and no matter how much fuel we pulled out of the tune..... it just kept adding it back...

Anther thing...if your getting so much fuel that you have to drain the holes... its gonna be getting in your oil and your oil is not gonna do its job of lubricating....

Quick Reply: odd fuel problem