LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How much boost mail order tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much boost mail order tune

I'm looking for sum opinions and advice I have a stock 96 Impala with a small turbo setup. I'm trying to decide how much boost I should have it tuned for one place told me 10lbs but I feel that is kind of high on a all stock motors. I was thinking 8 lbs. I have a walboro pump 42lb injectors to go with it. Can I have him set it up for the 8lbs and run at 5 and work my way up with the wideband tuning or will the car completely nor run correctly? I just don't want to get the tune then feel like I should have had it tuned differently.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Zero.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

All of it.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

mail order tune and boost? zero.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/16923341-post19.html

Are you indeed going to run forged pistons? That is an important piece of info. Stock pistons 10psi would be a really big gamble if not deliberate destruction of the engine. Forged pistons can handle a little occasional detonation wtihout cracking like a stocker would.

http://www.top-et.com/impalass/
Number 138 Dan Kunesh has an example of what you propose. Intercooled plus alky and 11-12psi and an average heads/cam car would drive right past that.

I met Dan good guy it was a true all weather car with salt stains on the hood liner to prove it. These days as far as heads and cam have come though with say 3400stall 3.73s you could have an NA car that would be year round drivable and run better..

To improve on his mild setup I would consider a more modern cam going to have to keep lift low to keep the retainers off the seals with the iron heads but say .530 lift is a BIG step up from the stock .418/.430ish numbers and there is a lot of room to increase duration too without compromising manners.

IMO a cam upgrade will let you make more power than his did but without having to go so high with the boost.

What are your performance goals?

Also more specifically answering your question a BIG part of what you can do on a mailorder tune depends on what sort of feedback you can give the tuner, you have good datalogging setup and wideband and that would help a lot.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Motor is bone stock now. I have a 355 forged piston with eagle rods and stock crank with a set of mild ported heads waiting to be assembled still missing sum small details for it. I dont have any true performance goals I just wanted to do something different with the car. Its already on the car so theres really no turning back. I wanted to see how the setup would perform on a stock motor before upgrading. Im not worried if it self destructs do all work myself. I just wanted a starting point. I have a data logger already and a wideband on order. To be quite honest I looked at the et page and Dan info. If I could get that number out of it I would be quite pleased. I have a 2 other much faster cars and this is just a cruiser.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Launching!

If it self destructs you won't learn anything and it could trash the turbine side of your turbo. Forced Induction really need to be dyno tuned by a competent tuner.

Quick Reply: How much boost mail order tune