LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What do you think is a fair price for this engine (eBay link)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you think is a fair price for this engine (eBay link)

A 24x converted stock rebuild 355 LT1 with a few little upgrades. If my motor is shot I will be on a serious budget to get it back on the road. I have a 2nd child coming and will be moving again in a few months. What would you pay for this? Keep in mind my 97 isn't my "fast car"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370599633375...=p5197.c0.m619
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Teching In

id say unless you are ready to drop that motor in you are going to need to do alot of wiring and custom stuff to get it to work properly. Def a sick lt though for sure
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

LOL I posted this a couple of days ago it is on my watch list. Just wish it was a little more than stock at that price.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get a stock used motor for much cheaper elsewhere if you are on a tight budget. You'll be at least another $1k into that motor to get it running in your car.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djjab57
LOL I posted this a couple of days ago it is on my watch list. Just wish it was a little more than stock at that price.
My thoughts exactly. If it had a Hot Cam kit with upgraded valve train components I can see paying this price. I may have to replace the engine in my 97 but I am thinking 4400 is too much to pay for what is being offered. If many others disagreed I may reconsider. I don't think I'll get much in return for mine to offset the difference and you still have to buy a harness. It does look very clean though and would be a nice addition for car shows.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a forged 383 that cost less than that, and then you can piece together the EFI swap, if you look at the cost of the stock rebuild it isn't more than 3 grand. It is at least a grand for the swap depending on how much you do yourself. I would say that is just a bit more than what the parts cost, but wildside did build it so it would probably work just fine.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Stay away. That price is ridiculous. You could have your heads repaired and a stock rebuild of your own for that price.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

thats way to much. i peaced my efi kit for around 1100 with a stand alone harness. and thats a complete efi kit this one only has the sensors and coils.

and you could get a stroker with a efi kit if you look around and find deals
Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

He does take offers so you can try that if you really want it, dont forget there will probably be shipping as well unless your house is that way. Also be safe over there and get home to your wife
Old 01-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

From the pics I wouldn't offer a wooden nickel.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default 355

Yeah I figured to receive these kind of responses. Basically, I am bored as hell here in Afghanistan at night and so I have way too much time to surf the net and find shi..stuff. Can only go 2 the gym so much and watching pirated DVDs of the latest movies on a laptop gets old as well. I found a 355 with forged pistons that is fairly local with no run time. It has too much Cam for my needs (wife wouldn't drive it) but seems to be reasonably priced.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...-ready-go.html
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, I have roughly that into the engine assembly as it sits. The little things begin to add up (like the Corvette configuration on top). Last person who called, I offered him the F-Body front accessories and starter at no additional cost. The accessories need cleaned up and some of the bolts have been misplaced.

There's a good solid day or more of work involved with the assembly after the rebuild was received.

And don't forget the eBay listing and selling fees...and then the PayPal (or credit card) fee.

The thought crossed my mind to install the LT4 hot cam and related components, but then the engine becomes a loss and difficult to move as the price continues to climb.

Anyway, I'm not interested in the debate about the price being too high. I know the costs involved. Make a resonable offer and it might be yours.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

S10Wildside. I completely understand your attempt to get out of it what you have in it. If my Engine does indeed come out, I would kick myself if I didn't at least add some power. My 97 is my cruiser but a little more "umph" would be nice to go along with a new set up. Plus I just bought a new Opti and MSD wires 2 weeks before my timing chain broke Purchasing the harness and PCM and adding a Hotcam with valvetrain would put this purchase in the 6,000.00 range. I really like it, it looks great and I am sure it is well put together. I just hate that for the price with everything I am knocking on a decent LSX swap territory in terms of price.

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
Yes, I have roughly that into the engine assembly as it sits. The little things begin to add up (like the Corvette configuration on top). Last person who called, I offered him the F-Body front accessories and starter at no additional cost. The accessories need cleaned up and some of the bolts have been misplaced.

There's a good solid day or more of work involved with the assembly after the rebuild was received.

And don't forget the eBay listing and selling fees...and then the PayPal (or credit card) fee.

The thought crossed my mind to install the LT4 hot cam and related components, but then the engine becomes a loss and difficult to move as the price continues to climb.

Anyway, I'm not interested in the debate about the price being too high. I know the costs involved. Make a resonable offer and it might be yours.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobie
S10Wildside. I completely understand your attempt to get out of it what you have in it. If my Engine does indeed come out, I would kick myself if I didn't at least add some power. My 97 is my cruiser but a little more "umph" would be nice to go along with a new set up. Plus I just bought a new Opti and MSD wires 2 weeks before my timing chain broke Purchasing the harness and PCM and adding a Hotcam with valvetrain would put this purchase in the 6,000.00 range. I really like it, it looks great and I am sure it is well put together. I just hate that for the price with everything I am knocking on a decent LSX swap territory in terms of price.
Very respectable and understood. I don't blame you for considering an LS swap at the $6000 range.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For the price I would certainly want to know exactly what was used?
Would be nice to know if the crank is cut or just polished.
The rods and everything else done with ARP?
The pistons and head gaskets give it stock compression?

It is a very professionally done ad................................................ ..with almost none of the info a knowledgable gearhead would want.

Far as price, it is easy for folks to say a "stock rebuild" is cheap but the true cost is higher than most people would expect. If you add everything up I believe the seller has this much money into it. Sure it could be done cheaper but you certainly can spend this much without doing anything wild.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Find a competent engine builder in your area and save yourself some money

Ohh, AND you can throw in at least a mild cam and still come out even with the money situation instead of buying that engine.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

EFI connections is known for having good stuff, Though didn't know they did complete engines until I seen that ad a week or so ago. I'm sure anyone could call them and I believe there still on tech
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djjab57
EFI connections is known for having good stuff, Though didn't know they did complete engines until I seen that ad a week or so ago. I'm sure anyone could call them and I believe there still on tech
S10Wildside (who posted above) is EFI.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

RamAir95TA, just noticed you are from S. Jersey. My Mom was born and raised in Pennsville. My cousins all went to Woodstown high. They have all long since moved off but are you near any of those areas?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
S10Wildside (who posted above) is EFI.
Makes since after I read it again LOL

Quick Reply: What do you think is a fair price for this engine (eBay link)