LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Barn Find!--3rd gen swap

Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Barn Find!--3rd gen swap

I recently picked up a 94 Formula that's been sitting for a while, 5 years to be exact.

A guy i work with told me his dad had a Firebird out in the barn. Said it had been there for a few years and that eventually he would get around to working on it. Several years later...it's still sitting there, untouched and covered in dust. Got a phone call saying that they were thinking about selling it, before I could hang up the phone I was out the door with a wad of cash. Not knowing what exactly this thing was or what kind of shape it was in, I grab $1500. I get there and we head out to the barn, slide the door open and there it was. A red 94 Formula. Said he bought it from some guy who was having problems with the key switch. They bought it, got it started and drove it home to where it sits...hadn't even started it since! Terry (the dad) says it ran good and went down the road straight. I asked how much, they wanted $800. I offered $400 and we finally agreed on $500. Aired up the tires and dragged it outside to where I could get at it with the trailer.

I bought it for parts only. The interior is in great shape and all there. The plastic and possibly carpet will get swapped into my 97 Formula that the PO decided to cut up. The motor/axle will end up in my 88 Z28 after going through it. The dash and seats may find there way there too. A few other odds and ends will be saved as well. Rest will be parted/scraped after I've pulled what I want.

Now for my questions. I would like to find out for myself how well (if at all) this thing runs before I start tearing into it. Anyone think I should do anything special before trying to fire it up? I'm thinking check the fluids, toss some clean oil/filter in, some fresh gas and a battery. Of course check the wiring and airbox for mouse damage first. Since I'm pulling the motor and rebuilding it, goal is either a 383 or 396 with heads/cam and bolt ons, I figure I've got nothing to loose. I'm really not to keen on the idea of replacing all the things that should be done before attempting to start (plugs, wires, probably opti, etc) only to pull it all apart again. What says everyone?

Some pictures, as you can see...it's quite rough on the outside. The inside is very (oddly) clean. Underhood looks all stock and factory.

Last edited by toomany; 09-16-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn thats one Dirty f-body! And wtf caused the rear quarter to get dimpled like that??? Definitely change out the fluids and check for spark and proper fuel pressure. Also see if the engine will turn over by hand first. If you could get a bore guage and check out the cylinder walls thatd be advisable.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a dirty, dirty, dirty bird!!
Great parts car find for 500 bucks.

Nice find.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Launching!

looks like somebody tried popping the dents out. Good buy none the less. That car is honestly in better shape than mine yet im fixing all the body on mine instead of parting it out lol
Old 01-13-2013, 02:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
Damn thats one Dirty f-body! And wtf caused the rear quarter to get dimpled like that???
Terry said the guy he got it from hit a pole and tried pounding the dents out. Looks like with a ball pien hammer. At first I thought someone tried using a slide hammer with studs welded to the body, but no evidence of that. The rocker is also damaged behind/under the black door.

Originally Posted by ;17053662
looks like somebody tried popping the dents out. Good buy none the less. That car is honestly in better shape than mine yet im fixing all the body on mine instead of parting it out lol
The body really isn't that good. The rear wheel wells are starting to bubble, the roof has dents, the passenger door is separating and has to be held in the front when opened, the front bumper and hood are messed up along with the headlights (neither one works I'm told).

After typing that....sounds like I bought a giant pile of crap. On the plus side, it does have a perfect dash pad and door panels (also going into my 97).
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most likely the injectors will be stuck, gummed up and need cleaned. Fresh gas,oil and battery is all you should need. Fire it up and go.
Atleast that's all I had to do to the motor after sitting for 5 years. That was 12 years ago.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good price for a parts car, that puppy looks rough!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

what color is the interior?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by diablizzard
what color is the interior?
The same as my 97, graphite.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Nice find... the interior alone is worth that!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice score! If you ever want to sell interior parts I've got the cash. I need a graphite grey shifter cover. That is if it's a 6 spd. And sun visors if the elastic isn't drooping like mine.

The tail lights are worth almost half of what you paid too!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Nice score! If you ever want to sell interior parts I've got the cash. I need a graphite grey shifter cover. That is if it's a 6 spd. And sun visors if the elastic isn't drooping like mine.

The tail lights are worth almost half of what you paid too!

The only way the deal could have been better is if the car were a 6 speed. But it's got the auto in it. Most of the interior will get used between my 3rd and 4th gens. Probably not the visors though, I'll get back with you on them if they are still good. Tail lights are already sold...they went quick. I've got a set stashed away for when/if mine start to de-laminate.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Awesome man for 500 bucks you cant go wrong. I would say if your going to rebuild it, save the money and not do plugs and fluids. If you want to drive it plugs and a full service would be ideal. Awesome car lots of potential i love formula's!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

**** it. Gut it and go race car lol
Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

I agree.. Cant go wrong for $500 for what your plans are!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 AM
Staging Lane

I put some fresher oil in it, changed the filter, 6 gallons of gas and a battery. Turned the key and got nothing. The interior comes alive and the lights work. No fuel pump or engine crank though (it does spin by hand though). I'm thinking it has something to do with the ignition switch down on the column (the original problem it was parked for). If try to turn the key past the crank position, the starter clicks. I'll try again this weekend if the weather is decent. It was starting to snow and the wind was picking up so I called it a day.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Could easily be the starter then. Check the connections for corrosion. And when my starters click I give them a few light taps with a hammer, not sure if its "recommended" by most but its worked for me quite a few times
Old 01-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Teching In

If the security light is on or flashing on the dash, i suggest bypassing the system. Shbox has a good write-up for how to do it on his website. That is the most common ignition issue with these cars. Otherwise thats a pretty awesome deal.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Warmed up to the mid 30's today so I went out and tried again. No security light on the dash. Beat on the starter a few times, still no crank. Tested for power on the purple wire while cranking, that checks out fine. My guess is sitting on the dirt floor for several years corroded up the contacts. I have a nice mini starter on the 355 that I pulled out of my Camaro that I'll toss in there. While I was down there I also beat the tank a few times hoping to get the fuel pump to do something. No go there. Put power to the prime connector under the hood, still nothing. I might have an old external one I can run to the supply side temporarily if I get it to crank. If I can catch a break in the weather tomorrow (supposed to be 20's and windy, 1* with the windchill) I'll start pulling some interior pieces maybe throw the other starter in if I can get at that motor.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Cool man keep us posted!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Barn Find!--3rd gen swap