LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ses light on and off at random?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ses light on and off at random?

Since i bought this car I have noticed that from time to time the ses light will light up and then randomly go off. This has been happening a lot more within the last few months or so. While its on i am able to pull the codes like normal without issue but when it decides to turn off i'm unable to read any codes that were thrown.I feel that if the ses light comes on it shouldnt go out till the codes are cleared. My question is, is this a normal thing or is there something wrong somewhere?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the SES is flashing it means you have an intermittent misfire.

What are the codes you are pulling? The PCM should be storing them whether the SES is on or off.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

ramair sometimes I feel like I should just pm you instead of making a thread. your always the first one to respond, thanks for that

the ses light does not flash. it turns on and stays on for a while usually a day or two and just randomly turns off. i havent been able to hook up a code reader before it turns off so i am unsure on what code is being thrown. The last time i was able to pull a code it was for a random misfire at idle. When the light goes off i am unable to pull any codes at all. when the car was in the shop last month my mechanic was unable to pull anything either as the light went off as i was taking the car to him.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Strange. Whether the SES is on or off you should still be able to pull the codes that were set since the PCM stores them for an undetermined amount of time.

I would suspect something with the scanning equipment and/or the operator. The PCM should still be able to give you the codes. It's unlikely something is wrong with the PCM. Since you are OBDII you can take the car to any parts store and try one of their readers perhaps?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Strange. Whether the SES is on or off you should still be able to pull the codes that were set since the PCM stores them for an undetermined amount of time.
I had always thought this also. I have actually tried 3 different scanners on it after the light had turned off and got nothing and its not like they are hard to figure out how to use.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Sometimes scanners will have registers for active codes and stored codes. Perhaps stored codes were overlooked. Some codes do clear themselves after a certain number of key cycles, though. It would be prudent to scan as soon as you can after the light has come on.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

I tried pulling stored codes a few different times and couldnt get anything. the key cycles are possible but sometimes it would have to only be 4 or 5 cycles and other times its on for a few days. I have a scanner in the car now so when it comes back on I will have it read. thanks for the replies guys just didnt know if anyone had came across this before

Quick Reply: ses light on and off at random?