LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Minor bolted LT1 runs 13.6 @ 106 (vids)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor bolted LT1 runs 13.6 @ 106 (vids)

Well ran the TA in November and never had time too post anything up about it. I was quite impressed for what it is. Mods are pacesetter lt's, 3" ory, tsp rumbler, lt4 km, air foil, gutted maf, gutted baffles in ws6 hood. Its a 97 6spd with 118k miles on stock computer.

Had terrible spin problems on the bald 285/35/19's. Only pulled 2.4 60fts and everytime i'd hit 2nd it would spin horribly like i was on ice so had too pedal it hard. I actually only trapped high 105's btw. lol Not quite 106.

I was only trapping 82mph in the 1/8th which is what it did stock but with the high 1/4 trap it lets me know i'm def losing some mph from the 2nd gear spin. Don't see any reason this car won't run 13.2's @ 106 ish with some decent tires. For that matter i'd like too take off those heavy C6 wheels and see what it'd do with a set of oem TA wheels.

Regardless im quite happy with it. I know its slow but figured the stock/minor bolted guys would like the results.

Here's a pass where you can here the 2nd gear spin. Ran my buddy's 99 LS1 6 speed. All he has is LID, smooth bellow, and gutted maf.

His car trapped almost 104 so its a healthy near stock ls1 no doubt. This vid shows the LT1's power though. Nothing like beating a LSx with a LT! lol

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.mitche...type=2&theater
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

I might be jumping the gun but i'm thinking with a good tune and some sticky tires this could be a 12.9 basic bolted lt1. No reason i couldn't pull a 1.8 60ft with some dr's.

Thats my goal before season starts back up. Get a tune and some tires and pull a 12.9 @ 107 ish. Then i'll be ready too move on too some more serious mods.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nothing wrong with a 12 second bolton lt1 car. Some sticky tires just might get it done.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran a 13.60 several years ago with BBK Shorties, cutout, blowmaster muffler, and 1.6 RR's spinning on bald 315 street tire/heavy *** ZR1 wheels in my A4 '95. People underestimate LT1's. Adequate bolt-ons with DR's yield into the 12's all day long.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The hacked up MAF probably hurts more than anything.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

Well this makes my 2nd 6spd lt1 with bolt ons and both have been horses. People underestimated both of them but thats alright i like seeing their shocked faces when it does something they don't expect. lol

I used too view lt1's the same way though. That is untill i ran a couple that made me question the sterotype that most are dogs. After some mad research it became clear that they're practically on the same level as LS cars and the ones that run like crap are mainly due too improper upkeep. Don't get me wrong the LSx is superior extreme build situations but too a point the ltx is right there with them.

Proud too own a LT1 :-)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The hacked up MAF probably hurts more than anything.
Not true. It actually picked up a bit afterwards. I would consistently pull my buddys 99 LS1 by a car then i descreened the maf, gutted the baffles in the hood, and installed a air foil. Now i pull him about 3 cars. Thats a pretty sweet gain for $30 and a hour with a dremel :-)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

You have a mediocre bolton car you think it fast so you MUST know more than the guy with a 600lbs heavier car that is 2 seconds and 10mph faster.

IF it gained anything it was temporary till the O2s corrected for the now incorrect airflow readings. The factory WOT tuning is excessively rich so leaning it out can result in a power gain, but leaning it out by use of halfassed means like cutting up the MAF or screwing with fuel pressure results in screwing up the fueling EVERYWHERE and when the O2s are causing the pcm to add additional fuel at cruise it then eventually compensates and adds fuel at WOT "learning out" the WOT AFR change.

To put your car's performance in perspective I know of 5 12 second bolton b-bodies off the top of my head one of them running 12.3 and I believe a couple of bolton f-bodies have even squeezed into the 11s.

One of the prominent LT1 tuners tried back to back stock MAF and speed density with the MAF removed tuning his own over 500rwhp solid roller stroker turning over 7500rpm and saw single digit gains. He has posted about it here multiple times.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have a mediocre bolton car you think it fast so you MUST know more than the guy with a 600lbs heavier car that is 2 seconds and 10mph faster.

IF it gained anything it was temporary till the O2s corrected for the now incorrect airflow readings. The factory WOT tuning is excessively rich so leaning it out can result in a power gain, but leaning it out by use of halfassed means like cutting up the MAF or screwing with fuel pressure results in screwing up the fueling EVERYWHERE and when the O2s are causing the pcm to add additional fuel at cruise it then eventually compensates and adds fuel at WOT "learning out" the WOT AFR change.

To put your car's performance in perspective I know of 5 12 second bolton b-bodies off the top of my head one of them running 12.3 and I believe a couple of bolton f-bodies have even squeezed into the 11s.

One of the prominent LT1 tuners tried back to back stock MAF and speed density with the MAF removed tuning his own over 500rwhp solid roller stroker turning over 7500rpm and saw single digit gains. He has posted about it here multiple times.

In his first post he said his car was SLOW. Just becuase you bolted on a proven h/c package to your ugly *** taxi dosnt make you the yoda of the car world. With a tire and a tune his car will be very respectable for the mods. Being a six speed find a cheap set of salad shooters and slap some slicks on them.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dave357LT1
In his first post he said his car was SLOW. Just becuase you bolted on a proven h/c package to your ugly *** taxi dosnt make you the yoda of the car world. With a tire and a tune his car will be very respectable for the mods. Being a six speed find a cheap set of salad shooters and slap some slicks on them.
Originally Posted by RhizzleDizzle
Well ran the TA in November and never had time too post anything up about it. I was quite impressed for what it is.
Now let's discuss the actual disagreement.

Is porting the MAF a good mod? Exactly what does it accomplish?

I gave my "opinion" on what it accomplishes someone care to actually discuss that point?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's been proven over & over in controlled dyno tests that gains shown from butchering the MAF on a stock, or mild modified engine, gains seen are only from leaning the A/ F @ WOT. As mentioned, gains are only until the PCM has to add fuel long enough to "learn " and (unless a tuner locks the long term trims @ WOT) it adds that same percent fuel @ WOT to protect the engine from a lean condition.
You get the same gains by leaning it with tuning, but the PCM won't learn to add fuel back @ WOT after a fuel miles of normsl driving.

My old 125,000 mile '95 Camaro test mule ran 13.40s @ 105 with original factory exhaust. 2.1 to 2.2 60's, here at Tulsa's slow-assed track. Nothing but tuning. No air box, nothing.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely have to change the rims and tires and youll be faster and more consistent
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Launching!

She sounds healthy. Nice job
Old 01-27-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

A few folks around here are full of knowledge but generally come crashing into threads like Debby Downer's. A good set of wheels/tires and practice and you'll be amazed how much "faster" your car will be. Salad shooters and some sticky rubber for the track is my recommendation for where you are at.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow that awesome. Good ol LT1 power right that.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Did you start your period or something? I post that i'm impressed with my car "for what it is" and you start by assuming i said i know more then you???
Are you mildly ******* retarded? Why are you starting a fight over nothing? You said gutting the maf probably hurt it, then i told you it gained. Now regardless of the gain being from leaning the mixture the FACT remains it still gained.

My car ran a certain time, i listed mods for people to compare, thats the end of it. No reason for you too be an *******. Oh and i never said it was"fast" or whatever your idea of fast was. I said it ran well for what it was and that i even know its slow but still im impressed. Get your facts straight before opening your ***** *** mouth too me again you ******* ********. Geez...some people.

Last edited by RhizzleDizzle; 01-27-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dave357LT1
Definately on the look for cheap salad shooters. Need too prob upgrade the rearend before doing so though. I'm not easy on my cars. lol

Now let's discuss the actual disagreement.

Is porting the MAF a good mod? Exactly what does it accomplish?

I gave my "opinion" on what it accomplishes someone care to actually discuss that point?
It did make my car faster even if temporary before a tune. Thats my opinion.

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
It's been proven over & over in controlled dyno tests that gains shown from butchering the MAF on a stock, or mild modified engine, gains seen are only from leaning the A/ F @ WOT. As mentioned, gains are only until the PCM has to add fuel long enough to "learn " and (unless a tuner locks the long term trims @ WOT) it adds that same percent fuel @ WOT to protect the engine from a lean condition.
You get the same gains by leaning it with tuning, but the PCM won't learn to add fuel back @ WOT after a fuel miles of normsl driving.

My old 125,000 mile '95 Camaro test mule ran 13.40s @ 105 with original factory exhaust. 2.1 to 2.2 60's, here at Tulsa's slow-assed track. Nothing but tuning. No air box, nothing.
Wow Ed thats moving for a stock lt1! Talk about setting the bar. Leave it too you. lol

Originally Posted by cprmn14
She sounds healthy. Nice job
thank ya sir.

Originally Posted by Scoobie
A few folks around here are full of knowledge but generally come crashing into threads like Debby Downer's. A good set of wheels/tires and practice and you'll be amazed how much "faster" your car will be. Salad shooters and some sticky rubber for the track is my recommendation for where you are at.
Eh, you always run into people that just wanna be dicks for no reason. I'll say my piece and leave it at that. Yes sir i'm def gonna be in the market too get the 60fts down. I was pulling 2.0-2.1 60fts before the tires got beyond their limit. Should do pretty well with some sticky tires. The 12 bolt prob won't like it though. lol
Old 01-27-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best I've pulled so far on a crappy track was 13.9 trapping 104. 60ft was like 2.3 - 2.4.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RhizzleDizzle
Definately on the look for cheap salad shooters. Need too prob upgrade the rearend before doing so though. I'm not easy on my cars. lol

It did make my car faster even if temporary before a tune. Thats my opinion.

Wow Ed thats moving for a stock lt1! Talk about setting the bar. Leave it too you. lol

thank ya sir.

Eh, you always run into people that just wanna be dicks for no reason. I'll say my piece and leave it at that. Yes sir i'm def gonna be in the market too get the 60fts down. I was pulling 2.0-2.1 60fts before the tires got beyond their limit. Should do pretty well with some sticky tires. The 12 bolt prob won't like it though. lol
Just a pair of Nitos would probably do wonders. I have customers that like to road race, and race around pylons in parking lots (don't know what you call that) have them all the way around, and drive on them all the time. Probably don't last long. LOL
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Just a pair of Nitos would probably do wonders. I have customers that like to road race, and race around pylons in parking lots (don't know what you call that) have them all the way around, and drive on them all the time. Probably don't last long. LOL
lol yeah autocross. I'm sure they wear out in no time. I drive a bit spirited anyways so def fast with me, haha. I will prob get some cheap wheels and run some MT et streets when i track it. Need too sell these C6 wheels and invest some of that in a better suited set of street wheels and stickies for the track. We'll see.

I'll probably be throwing some money at ya soon for a tune if you still do LT cars. So many have went away from doing them. Bluecat and James Short were my 2 quality local options but both don't fool with LT's anymore.

Quick Reply: Minor bolted LT1 runs 13.6 @ 106 (vids)