LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Mounts

I have to change my motor mounts. I dont have the funds to take the car to the shop, so I was thinking of doing them myself. From what I have read, I have to lift the motor. I have an engine hoist to be able to accomplish this. If that wont work please tell me. My car is a 95 z28, anyone have any tips or any ideas on how to do it?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One Procedure:

Remove the trans mount bolt and, after loosening one motor mount thru-bolt, remove the other thru-bolt and then (using the hoist) lift and rotate the engine.

Remove the motor mount half with the rubber, replace mount half, rotate down, re-install (but do not tighten!) thru-bolt.

Remove the second thru-bolt, lift and rotate engine (oppositely) remove and replace 2nd rubber mount half, then rotate engine down and install and tighten thru bolts and trans mount bolt.

Additionally, you may way to install, but not tighten, the three bolts to each replacement motor mount half - this allows a little more 'wiggle room' during the procedure - and you can always tighten them once everything is lined up.

Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Very good procedure. The mount is held to the k-member by a nut on the inside of the k-member. i beleive it takes a 15mm, the longer the wrench is the easier it will be. its not the easiest job in the world but definatly do-able in a few hours.

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts