LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How to protect coated headers from rust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to protect coated headers from rust?

I have Exotic Muscle longtubes coming in soon for my vette. They are mild steel and ceramic coated. I put 20,000 miles/year on my car so I need to make sure these headers are protected from the elements (I live in New England). I know the ceramic coating only holds in heat and does not prevent rust necessarily. What can I do to prevent my headers from getting rusty?

- Vinnie
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

try some sort of high temp clearn coat maybe
Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I posted this in another thread a few down from this one regarding the Pacesetters:

Like any mild steel header they will eventually rust. Just keep in mind that the ceramic coating is for heat retention, NOT rust prevention.

If you want a good looking header that will stay good looking, get a set of stainless headers ceramic coated.

I have found that there isn't much you can do regarding rust prevention. Eventually whatever coating you put on there will fail. That's why it pays to go stainless the first time around. Why not sell the headers you just bought, or return them?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
FormerVendor

Mothers aluminum polish works good on ceramic coated headers. You can use the liquid or the wadding type.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I posted this in another thread a few down from this one regarding the Pacesetters:

Like any mild steel header they will eventually rust. Just keep in mind that the ceramic coating is for heat retention, NOT rust prevention.

If you want a good looking header that will stay good looking, get a set of stainless headers ceramic coated.

I have found that there isn't much you can do regarding rust prevention. Eventually whatever coating you put on there will fail. That's why it pays to go stainless the first time around. Why not sell the headers you just bought, or return them?
I saw your other post, and I am aware that mild steel headers will eventually rust. I'm in college and on a budget so I couldn't afford stainless coated headers. Trust me, I wanted them!

Money is an issue for me, that's why I'm trying to figure out how to protect the headers that I ordered.

Originally Posted by DougThorley
Mothers aluminum polish works good on ceramic coated headers. You can use the liquid or the wadding type.
That's very interesting. That comes in a tub right? Should I apply it to the headers before installing them? I can see you're a header guy, I could use your help
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM
FormerVendor

Before or after. It just helps restore some of the lost luster.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.ssaccessories.com/servlet...Headers/Detail.

$559.

The EM long tubes are $770. You can have the stainless headers coated for around $200.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

from my experience, park it in the garage and dont drive it in the rain. my ls1 car's headers rusted all to doo-doo just sitting in the driveway. i put 8,000 miles on it in 10 years.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Teching In

http://www.ssaccessories.com/servlet...Headers/Detail.

$559.

The EM long tubes are $770. You can have the stainless headers coated for around $200.
OBX headers are a nightmare to install on my car, that's why I went with the EM headers, they are known to have near perfect fitment. I'm not doing this myself so I want headers that are easy to install (no metalwork, no new brackets, etc.) so I can save on labor costs. I also got $120 off the headers with a GP.

Originally Posted by vtec
from my experience, park it in the garage and dont drive it in the rain. my ls1 car's headers rusted all to doo-doo just sitting in the driveway. i put 8,000 miles on it in 10 years.
I don't have a garage, this car is my daily. I actually find that by driving it everyday and not letting it sit, it keeps the car sort of fresh.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

So you would rather have an easy install than rusted headers?

I HIGHLY doubt that an off-the-shelf specialized product for a specific application requires fabrication and metalwork to fit properly.

It sounds to me like the solutions have presented themselves. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Teching In

So you would rather have an easy install than rusted headers?

I HIGHLY doubt that an off-the-shelf specialized product for a specific application requires fabrication and metalwork to fit properly.

It sounds to me like the solutions have presented themselves. Good luck.
The goal of this thread was to find out if there is a way to protect my headers from rust; high temp clear coat may be the solution. Or possibly just some high-temp paint.

People on CF have had a hard time with those headers, you get what you pay for I guess. I'd rather pay $200 for installation than $600+.

I'm open to more ideas on how to protect mild steel ceramic coated headers, any help would be excellent.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think you can do anything to prevent them from rusting. The best you might be able to do is slow it down by keeping them away from heat, which isn't really an option, and moisture.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

no matter what you do to ceramic headers, they will rust. put a coating on it, go ahead. it will burn off at some point.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 92Vette

I'm open to more ideas on how to protect mild steel ceramic coated headers, any help would be excellent.
I would check with the coating company and ask if any product you can apply to their coating exists that would help reduce rust. The coating does not rust, the mild steel under it does.

I don't know of a high temp clear coat and if there is one does it even help prevent rust on something that will eventually rust especially if exposed to winter salted roads..
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
I would check with the coating company and ask if any product you can apply to their coating exists that would help reduce rust. The coating does not rust, the mild steel under it does.

I don't know of a high temp clear coat and if there is one does it even help prevent rust on something that will eventually rust especially if exposed to winter salted roads..
I actually just called Exotic Muscle; they said the coating they put on is for rust protection AND heat containment. Hopefully that's true, I'll find out!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

They're going to rust. Considering where you live, coupled with the fact it appears to be your daily driver, I would speculate that it will happen sooner rather than later.

Have you ever considered installing the headers yourself to save some money? I would imagine it's got to be a much easier install in comparison to an f-body.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ******

Assuming such a coating DOES exist the headers would also need to be coated on the inside as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Assuming such a coating DOES exist the headers would also need to be coated on the inside as well.
They are coated on the inside. http://emracingcorp.com/scripts/prod...p?idproduct=67
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I installed EM headers on my cousins vette..Within a few weeks you could see surface rust on the bottom of the headers. I had to dent the headers where the bolts go because they where machined wrong and the stage 8 bolts would hit the header..for the price he paid it wasn't worth it..I would have gotten kooks instead.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Are the OBX Kooks clones available for the Vette? Assuming the pricing is the same as the FBody variant, they might actually be cheaper than the EM headers.

If you're really paranoid about rust, you could cancel your order, get the stainless headers, install them yourself and come out ahead.

Quick Reply: How to protect coated headers from rust?