LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust questions on my LT1 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions on my LT1 T/A

Few questions on my exhaust for my T/A. I looked and couldnt really find any sound clips or youtube videos of my setup, and im just wondering what you all think, or maybe if i should do something different, how loud its going to be, etc.
Ive been running stock exhaust except with the loud mouth 1 setup and love the sound so heres what ive come up with. Itll be true dual btw.

Itll have LT headers---Cutouts---Into X pipe--- Into 2 loud mouth 1's
Old 02-07-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It'll be loud and probably very raw.

I don't see the point of cutouts if you're running mufflers directly off the x-pipe though.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Teching In

i mean they wont be directly off of it, but the only thing in between would be staight piping. Should i look into throwing 2 high flow cats or resonators in there somewhere before mufflers, after cutouts?
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Do you have any desire to do more engine mods? That system will be obnoxiously loud with the stock cam, and might be ok with you if that is what you like. With a cam, that would be like running open headers. Also, where are you going to fit the 2 mufflers? Is your car lowered? Exhausts on these cars are not very easy compared to many others because of the torque arm rear suspension, and very low floor pan.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another question. If you love the sound why are you changing it?

Also, true duals are heavy. Consider that if you're going to be doing any weight reduction in the future.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Get some real mufflers.Magnaflow or borlas even dynomax bullets would be better than a resonator.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Im changing it cause it was stock but now has headers and i want true dual.
No my car isnt lowered.
The exhaust will be dumped before rear axle.
I one point i was thinking about running the borla zr-1 s. Or is ot xr-1 s? I cant remember.

If i were to add a cat/ resonator, what would u all suggest?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

I would suggest not even thinking about adding cats or resonators. Keep it simple, clean and uncluttered. XR1s would be great. Run flowmaster venturi reducers from the collector then begin the x pipe at the end of the reducer. 3.0 to 2.5 and use a 2.5 universal x pipe kit. Get the mufflers with a 3 in/out. Use a regular reducer at the end of x pipe/muffler inlet and also use a 3.0 turndown. Cut outs that close to the collectors cause turbulence.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've had pacesetter LT's and TSP rumbler X-pipe setup (modified slightly to fit an LT1) since 2004. actually wrecked the car I first had it on and transferred it to the new car... I get thumbs up and good comments from people all the time at stop lights and such. I have alot of sound deadening and stereo preps so, the drone in the car is not half as bad as it would be otherwise.... I dont think I could deal with it as a DD if I didn't have all the sound proofing and a loud stereo. Just my two cents.

What I modified on the rumbler setup

Piece I had exhaust shop fab to make it all work

old vid of my stock SS with this exhaust

Here's my buddys LS1 TA with the EXACT same exhaust... note - LS1's have a higher pitch sound at full throttle but, at idle are similar IMHO... this one was cam only but, very choppy.. just to give you another idea of the sound.

Last edited by hyperzone; 02-08-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions on my LT1 T/A