LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lightest k member - confused!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lightest k member - confused!!

I've been searching and reading for days and still don't know what's lighter pa racing or BMR. Some posts say BMR and some say pa. What is the final weights including engine stands etc?

Thank you
Old 02-23-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear PA is the lightest but it also isn't the strongest as a few guys have BENT them over the years. IMO it's a part of the car you don't want to skimp out on. I recommend the UMI. It's not as light as the PA but it's FAR beefier.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PA CM k member with mounts is 16.2lbs
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If its a drag only car then by all means go for the lightest one you can find, but if you drive it on the street or do auto-x events I would look at something safer with a proven history like the UMI piece. They have a standard version and a reinforced road race version that sacrifices weight for strength and rigidity.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys
it looks like PA racing and burkhart lightweight spindles with 3rd gen drag brakes are the way to go for me.

Now I need to save up again.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Firehawk
Add around 8 lbs due to the stock stands and your going to be about the same as the BMR with integrated stands.

PA Racing does make an LT1 k-member with integrated stands as well. Mine (CM) weighed 21.2 lbs in the box on a bathroom scale. Just give Jason a call.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I run the UMI and it's heavy. 33lbs or so, the stock one was 49. If I had to do it again I would go with a PA chromoly k-member.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

BMR K-member and control arms and I daily drive mine. K-member weighs 24.5 lbs:

Last edited by Rob94hawk; 02-25-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Boosted Firehawk
Add around 8 lbs due to the stock stands and your going to be about the same as the BMR with integrated stands.

PA Racing does make an LT1 k-member with integrated stands as well. Mine (CM) weighed 21.2 lbs in the box on a bathroom scale. Just give Jason a call.
This is why I am so confused! Which is it - with stands or without stands?! I get different weights depending what threads I read. LOL.

Jason already confirmed I can get both power and pinto rack mounts, I'll ask him about the weights to...

- still confused -
Old 02-25-2013, 09:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ran Spohn and BMR full k-memeber/a-arm setups. The Spohn pieces sucked and the lower a-arms bent at the shock mounts, terrible customer service and shitty products. The BMR setup \ first sent to me was jigged wrong and had a ton of scratches on all of the pieces. They offered me 10% off or a new one if I sent it back. I told them the motor mount was half an inch off so they sent out a completely new set. I had their upper a-arms bend on me, once with stock shocks and another time with brand new coil overs. They replaced them for free.

Bottom line, don't go with anything Spohn.
Don't buy the upper a-arms from anywhere.
Make sure the new k-member comes with the proper frame bolts as some of them require shorter lengths.
See how they secure the brake lines near the a-arm mounts. (the Spohn k-members mounts for the hard lines was terrible)

I've found that many of these companies that still make products are really just going thru the motions. You need to do QC on all of these parts since most companies aren't.

Last edited by fex77k; 02-25-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jason94z
This is why I am so confused! Which is it - with stands or without stands?! I get different weights depending what threads I read.
Spohn, Racecraft, and the standard PA Racing k-member have LT1 motor mount pads installed, but you still need to re-use your stock driver side cast iron frame stand and the passenger side motor mount, which are around 8 lbs.

BMR and the PA Racing k-member I have both have fully integrated LT1 motor mounts so you don't use the stock stuff and you save the 8 lbs. Look at the BMR k-member versus pictures of the Spohn or Racecraft and you'll see what I mean.

So in the end, going with Spohn, Racecraft, or the standard PA Racing (CM) k-member will weigh around the same as the BMR (mild steel), but Jason can build you a k-member with integrated mounts like mine which weighs less than either of those options.

Based on pictures of the UMI k-member, it looks in between in that it looks like you don't use the stock driver side stand but you still use the passenger side motor mount. But as mentioned, the UMI k-member is very stout.

I have Burkhart spindles and Strange brakes about to go on the car as well.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

I have a PA one and my car exploded because its too awesome.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
I have a PA one and my car exploded because its too awesome.
That's what I want to hear!!

I asked Jason at PA for clarification I'll keep you all posted
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Jason at PA says the one with built in stands is 8-12 lbs lighter
I don't know if I can afford it now I am waiting on him for a price, I might have to sell some more stuff first before ordering. I still need wheels and tires, that's a bit more important right now then a lighter k memeber or I'll just have a lighter paper weight come spring if I buy stuff out of order

Quick Reply: Lightest k member - confused!!