LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

NEED HELP! VATS gone bad... HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP! VATS gone bad... HELP PLEASE

i have a 95 LT1 camaro seems like use to be auto and got manual swap. well i bought this car of my new neighbor he sold it because he was having some VATS issues but did now what it was so he just simply installed some kind of switch which allowed the car to start with out the key (at that point i had not bypassed VATS yet) but still needed key to unlock steering wheel the car ran perfect for about two weeks he said then one day didn't want to start.

Then i bought the car of him i knew it was the VATS to i bypassed it my key gave a reading of .53 ohms so i bought resistors at radio shack made a 530 resistor by putting in series one 330 ohm resistor and two 100 ohm resistor i installed it and it started car sounded GREAT as it has headers, full exhaust, flowmasters, and K&N cold air intake, took it for a spin it ran perfect! parked it turned it of and on worked again got out of the car came back about 20 min latter nothing....

battery died after trying to start the car over and over again this morning took it to autozone try to get it recharged they said my battery didnt work anymore.
came back changed the bypass to a new one as i thought maybe it burned (cant check it lost my voltmeter) it turned on for about two seconds made ugly sound and died. i couldnt crank it no more cause my battery completly died.

any help please.....
Old 02-26-2013, 02:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IF it is truly a VATS problem you should be albe to program it out and bypass the relay inside the dash between the glove box and passenger door.

it should start right up.

BUT to be honest if it is cranking over it is not usually a VATS issue

Back to basics. check Fuel pressure and spark
Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Duplicate thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...lp-please.html
Old 02-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7Camaro.95
i have a 95 LT1 camaro seems like use to be auto and got manual swap. well i bought this car of my new neighbor he sold it because he was having some VATS issues but did now what it was so he just simply installed some kind of switch which allowed the car to start with out the key (at that point i had not bypassed VATS yet) but still needed key to unlock steering wheel the car ran perfect for about two weeks he said then one day didn't want to start.

Then i bought the car of him i knew it was the VATS to i bypassed it my key gave a reading of .53 ohms so i bought resistors at radio shack made a 530 resistor by putting in series one 330 ohm resistor and two 100 ohm resistor i installed it and it started car sounded GREAT as it has headers, full exhaust, flowmasters, and K&N cold air intake, took it for a spin it ran perfect! parked it turned it of and on worked again got out of the car came back about 20 min latter nothing....

battery died after trying to start the car over and over again this morning took it to autozone try to get it recharged they said my battery didnt work anymore.
came back changed the bypass to a new one as i thought maybe it burned (cant check it lost my voltmeter) it turned on for about two seconds made ugly sound and died. i couldnt crank it no more cause my battery completly died.

any help please.....
It IS a VATS issue, some VATS systems wont let you crank, and some systems will cut off fuel after startup. Your problem is the latter. Try making a new resistor, double check it against the key, (I think there is a +-5% tolerance) and see if that fixes it. My VATS screwed me the first day I owned the car. Clutch shattered on my drive home and I replaced it all day on jack stands, go to start it back up after 8 hours of labor and nothing. worst day ever.

Worst case scenario, take a look at your wiring diagram and find out where your fuel pump power is at, see if you can bypass the security system. I've never done that, just a thought.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! VATS gone bad... HELP PLEASE