LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

have a few issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have a few issues

Let's start off with this.....94 trans am lt1 comp 305 cam is the only internal work thats been done to it.

1. Been thinking about getting some roller rockers. And have been Googling stuff for like 3/4 days now. And I am still lost. I don't really get into internal modification. But what I have read is something about a 1.6 lift and guided and unguided seats or something have no idea.

2. Been checking into different heads. And can't find the stock CC or whatever like I have found "vortex" heads that are 210cc intake and 60cc exhaust. But I don't even have a client about any of that. So I guess what I am getting at with that is. What is a good replacement head for the lt1 with out spending 10000$ on a set. When I think of vortex heads I think of the 4.3L engine. So I could take them heads and bolt them on? But going from 5.7 to 4.3 heads seems not right?

3. My car has no *****. I did a tune up plugs and wires. Ran pretty good better then what it was. On my way home from work. I got down on it just a little. And hasn't ran good since then. But already done the tune up. Thought maybe the opti is bad its really boggie when u hit the gas even if u try to roll on it...I do have a bad iac would that cause it? . But I know nothing about a opti. This is my 1st F body. And from what I read there is opti 1/2 how do u know what one you have? Was looking on summit racing and auto zone. They have msd cap and rotors for 150 or close to. But I didn't think that my car had a distributer. If I got that cap and rotor is that going to work?

Thanks for any and all help
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Launching!

I'm not the smartest guy on here, but I'll answer first since no one else has. First, does your car have a tune? If not you should get one for the cam/future mods. (might be your problem?)

Second, for heads "Vortex" is a name the GM uses for a type of heads. They were orignally on the 4.3L but they can be designed for anything. Do you need new head or just want to spend a lot of money? If not to save money you could get your current ported and polished. Lloyd Elliot does this and I have heard nothing but amazing reviews on his work.

That's about all I can answer, I'm sure someone better than me will come and help you. It would help to know what you want to do with the car and what current mods you have. And your budget because internal isn't cheap, evenmore so since you sound like you wouldn't be doing it yourself.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

i agree ask the original owner if he ever got the car tuned, if not get it tuned. Also even though you did a tune up make sure all the plugs are tight and wires are tight... sometime the plugs don't go down as tight as you think.

before changing opti, i'd try out a new fuel filter, maybe check the fuel pressure.

Pop off the drivers side valve cover, and im sure youll see some roller rockers already on the car, wouldn't make sense to replace a cam and not swap out the springs and roller rockers. As far as heads go, just get the stock heads ported, LE does exceleent work as i have a set of his stage 2 heads on my car, and when stuff isn't broken, it rips. Even broken it rips haha.

Vortec is just a style of head as well, and would require some work to change them over to lt1s reverse flow coolant, just stick with your stock heads and get them polshed especially if you aren't trying to spend a lot on heads.

lastley 93-94 had a spline drive opti,95-97 comes with the pin drive vented opti
Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Far as rockers, there is self aligning and non self aligning. Self aligning have 2 little nubs at the tip that keep it centered left and right on the valve. This is fine under 6300rpm but as you go higher the rocker can slightly float on the valve and the nubs not center it anymore, causing the rocker to spin and your pushrods to get shot through the valvecover.

Non self aligning have a deeper pushrod pocket and use the pushrod to keep it centered, and you need guide plates to keep the pushrod centered on the head. Since the pushrod is now sliding up and down touching the guide plate, both the pushrod and guide plate need to be hardened to prevent on of them wearing and dropping little metal shavings all over your engine.

For heads, either some as cast trickflows or darts are your only REAL option for an aftermarket head, edelbrocks are overpriced JUNK. For $/hp, porting your stock set is the way to go, and advanced induction, Lloyd Elliot, and TEA are the most often used on this site.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottbennett42086
Let's start off with this.....94 trans am lt1 comp 305 cam is the only internal work thats been done to it.

1. Been thinking about getting some roller rockers. And have been Googling stuff for like 3/4 days now. And I am still lost. I don't really get into internal modification. But what I have read is something about a 1.6 lift and guided and unguided seats or something have no idea.
Comp Cams Ultra Pro Mag 1.6 rockers are one of the best. Do NOT cheap out on valvetrain components, I don't care if people had luck with ebay junk, it's not worth saving a few bucks.

2. Been checking into different heads. And can't find the stock CC or whatever like I have found "vortex" heads that are 210cc intake and 60cc exhaust. But I don't even have a client about any of that. So I guess what I am getting at with that is. What is a good replacement head for the lt1 with out spending 10000$ on a set. When I think of vortex heads I think of the 4.3L engine. So I could take them heads and bolt them on? But going from 5.7 to 4.3 heads seems not right?

The stock heads flow pretty well when ported, Talk to Advanced Inductions. They have complete heads/cam/valvetrain kits that include everything you will need minus a tune.

3. My car has no *****. I did a tune up plugs and wires. Ran pretty good better then what it was. On my way home from work. I got down on it just a little. And hasn't ran good since then. But already done the tune up. Thought maybe the opti is bad its really boggie when u hit the gas even if u try to roll on it...I do have a bad iac would that cause it? . But I know nothing about a opti. This is my 1st F body. And from what I read there is opti 1/2 how do u know what one you have? Was looking on summit racing and auto zone. They have msd cap and rotors for 150 or close to. But I didn't think that my car had a distributer. If I got that cap and rotor is that going to work?

You have a non-vented spline drive Opti. I would definitely question if your car was tuned for the cam or not.
Thanks for any and all help
That should help you out.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Any chance you took the elbow off the throttle body? If so check and see if the underside of the elbow is on all the way. It is hidden and easy not to put on all the way. Then you suck unmetered air in and the car will bog. Just a thought!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Well. This is what I do know about the car. Has the comp 305 camp. Electric water pump, Hooker headers, slp loudmouth exhaust, believe its called a thunder(s omething) 373 posi rear end, panhard and strut bar, garifftie maf, cai and 52 mm tb, tuned pcm. But was tuned with 42# injecters which I no longer have. Was being built for a pro chrager but the Guy sold sold it to my friend. He spun the bearing got a junk yard engine. And swapped parts out expect the heads and intake cuz before the spun bearing was lt4 heads and intake. Forged crank and pistions. I have owned the car since August and this is what I have done to it. Fuel pump,and filter, tune up,and ign coil. But that might be bad going yo swap that out for stock and see what happens. And I had the trans rebuilt. And I don't think its the pcm I have two tried them both and they do the same thing. Ones tuned and ones not. And I do all my own work. I dropped the trans and didb head gaskets. I just don't know much and integral spec and what not.

The car ran fine for a day or two before it started acting boggie on acceleration and I also have a bad iac. Its unplugged

So these cars already come with roller rockers? Or are you thinking that if someone did a cam they did the rockers as well
Old 02-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Launching!

When you do a cam you should get ALWAYS put roller rockers on to support the cam, so it should have been redone previously.

Quick Reply: have a few issues