LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Steering wheels Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheels Vibration

So I just had my brakes replaced(Rotors and Pads) and the vibration simmered down a bit but my steering wheel vibrates at high speed. NOTE: my steering wheel is loose meaning some play in it when you use your hands to shake it back and forth. The shaking happens once you turn the steering wheel where there is no play. It shakes when you turn the steering wheel alittle to the left then stop when you turn it in the middle where theres play and it shakes again when you turn it to the right where there is no play. Im not turning the wheel so much that my wheels are turning. The steering wheel also shakes according to the Engines RPM.

#1. How do I get rid of the steering wheel play? Because it gets aggravating when your wheel is at a 30 degree angle when you try to stay straight on the highway.

#2. How do you get rid of the vibrations at high speeds and slight turns. I want the steering wheel to feel as if im in a Benz. Nice and comfortable at any speed.

I heard you can turn over the drive shaft but how do I do that without paying a random mechanic to do something I can do myself. Tips please. I have your basic set of Snap-on tools, hammers.

BTW wheels and tires are balanced to top shape! Had them rebalanced and aligned when I replaced the brakes.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BUMP Up my post
Old 03-08-2013, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
#1. How do I get rid of the steering wheel play? Because it gets aggravating when your wheel is at a 30 degree angle when you try to stay straight on the highway.
Check the rag joint.

#2. How do you get rid of the vibrations at high speeds and slight turns. I want the steering wheel to feel as if im in a Benz. Nice and comfortable at any speed.
Did you check the upper and lower control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, and wheel bearings/hubs when you did the brakes?

The steering wheel also shakes according to the Engines RPM
hmmmm
Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fbody_brian
Check the rag joint.

Did you check the upper and lower control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, and wheel bearings/hubs when you did the brakes?

hmmmm
I had all control arm bushings replaced about 2 months prior to the brakes. Driver side wheel bearing was replaced due to a sensor alerting about 3 months ago.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Tie rod ends
Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Launching!

I don't think you'd feel a drive shaft vibe in the steering wheel
Old 03-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Worse case scenario, you have to much lash in your rack and pinion and will need to replace it.

As was said, check your inner and outter tire rod ends, check your ball joints, and also take a look at the rag joint.

There's only so many things it could be aside from unbalanced wheels or excessive brake runout. either way, having a good ammount of free play in the wheel is never good and I would be hesitant to drive anywhere at highway speeds without knowing what the problem is.

Quick Reply: Steering wheels Vibration