LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Is 24x right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is 24x right for me?

Hey all,

Rebuilt my motor with an LE2 H/C/I package. New GM opti, plugs, wires, 37lb injectors, coil, ICM, etc. Had the PCM tuned by Mr. Solomon.

Solomon set me up with a baseline tune and we tweaked it a bit because of a rich condition and I am getting all sorts of strange activity. Car will die at stops and runs rough. Here is his quote from our correspondence:

I’d say you have something wrong with the car somewhere, the fuel trims are acting crazy sometimes reading rich and then at idle sometimes they go very lean. Plus you’re still getting a lot of data errors which is not normal. Maybe you have some bad grounds somewhere. There’s definitely something not right in there, but I’m not a mechanic.
I don't know what causes data errors but I think I am just about done with the LT1 ignition and computer. Maybe the PCM is fried?

I was thinking about scrapping it all and starting over with the 24x mod.

Thoughts or comments?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I swapped to the 24x system mostly so i could tune iit with hptuners. I also kept getting bum optis for some reason. I had bought three of them. An msd( my bad, I know) that eventually just would cut the car off then eventually restart throwing a code. And 2 from eBay (Delco units, no names being used) that would just have a high rpm miss. Swapped to the 24x system, no issues since . Plus hptuners is bad ***. Also a lot more tuners are willing to tune it around the area now because they can use hptuners or efi live
Old 03-18-2013, 11:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say yes and no. The LT1 PCM is more than capable of handling your set up, if there is some thing wrong I would want to know what it is and pin point it before swapping set ups. Would suck to do the 24X and still have issues that were unrelated to the LT1 PCM/Harness.

I have a 24X on my 93, I did it because no one here in Houston messes with the chip stuff my car originally had. I could have converted to a 94+ OBDI LT1 set up but I figured most the harness and stuff were old/hard to find clean and if I put the effort forward to convert it, would rather be the 24X. It's also nice because most the tuners here don't want to mess with LT1 Edit or LS1 edit for that matter, so the HPtuners factor is nice. A lot of my reasoning was convenience, if you want to take the easy way out the 24X is nice, if you want to stick with the Lt1 stuff, you really should have your own software/cable and wideband because most have long moved away from wanting to mess with the LT1 stuff.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless your battery dies while programming the PCM it is not likely you fried it. With as many times as I wanted to blame the PCM for being a PITA to work with the issue was always came back to something "obvious" like a bad ground(s)/loose pins in the connectors until the insulation in my harness finally gave up from old age and heat. Had a new one made locally for about $500, found some better grounds and not a single issue with tuning/data logging since.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
I would say yes and no. The LT1 PCM is more than capable of handling your set up, if there is some thing wrong I would want to know what it is and pin point it before swapping set ups. Would suck to do the 24X and still have issues that were unrelated to the LT1 PCM/Harness.

I have a 24X on my 93, I did it because no one here in Houston messes with the chip stuff my car originally had. I could have converted to a 94+ OBDI LT1 set up but I figured most the harness and stuff were old/hard to find clean and if I put the effort forward to convert it, would rather be the 24X. It's also nice because most the tuners here don't want to mess with LT1 Edit or LS1 edit for that matter, so the HPtuners factor is nice. A lot of my reasoning was convenience, if you want to take the easy way out the 24X is nice, if you want to stick with the Lt1 stuff, you really should have your own software/cable and wideband because most have long moved away from wanting to mess with the LT1 stuff.
I don't mean to hijack but is there anything specific or different when converting a '93 to 24x? Ya know being Speed Density and a chip car and all.. I really want to do it but I heard it was a little harder on the '93s.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO if you can't make the simple stock setup work how in the hell are you going to manage to make the 24x system work?

The pcm is OFTEN accused of being faulty and almost never is, as someone else already said long as you don't lose data stream during reprogram it is rock solid reliable and if it runs you did not lose the data stream during reprogram.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
IMO if you can't make the simple stock setup work how in the hell are you going to manage to make the 24x system work?

The pcm is OFTEN accused of being faulty and almost never is, as someone else already said long as you don't lose data stream during reprogram it is rock solid reliable and if it runs you did not lose the data stream during reprogram.
Don't know.

I really don't know what is causing the data errors. I feel like I have been through every inch of the ignition system trying to get it to function correctly. I've checked the grounds, and replaced just about every component I can think of.

At this point, as I have gotten older, time has become more of a premium than money.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

maybe the problem is that you decided it was an ignition issue and that has stopped you from finding the actual problem.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Launching!

I am open to suggestion.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
I don't mean to hijack but is there anything specific or different when converting a '93 to 24x? Ya know being Speed Density and a chip car and all.. I really want to do it but I heard it was a little harder on the '93s.
Hard to say really because a lot of what makes a 93 different goes away during the swap. Physically the harness going to the oil pressure switch has to be longer on the harness since it's in a different location. I converted to a six speed from a 96 and ordered a TPIS TB with a 94+ IAC. If you kept the 93 the IAC connector would need to be different since the 93 was the TPI style screw in and not the bolt in like later LT1s. The six speed may work, like I said my T56 is from a 96 and I had zero issues with the speedo working. On a 93 4L60 it would be tricky. Would need some heated O2s since you couldn't reuse your old single wire O2s. Not a lot of my 93 is really original any more
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Hard to say really because a lot of what makes a 93 different goes away during the swap. Physically the harness going to the oil pressure switch has to be longer on the harness since it's in a different location. I converted to a six speed from a 96 and ordered a TPIS TB with a 94+ IAC. If you kept the 93 the IAC connector would need to be different since the 93 was the TPI style screw in and not the bolt in like later LT1s. The six speed may work, like I said my T56 is from a 96 and I had zero issues with the speedo working. On a 93 4L60 it would be tricky. Would need some heated O2s since you couldn't reuse your old single wire O2s. Not a lot of my 93 is really original any more
That doesn't sound so bad then, luckily I have a '95 TB laying around to swap, I added heated O2's when I did my LT's and I have a 6-speed so it should be pretty easy then!.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Trans shouldnt be a issue either shld be a 700r4 w all cable driven speedo and kickdown ........ i have a 24x on a 93 now i switchd to a 95 intake and other stuff but all and all not real bad. Now to get to the heart of the issue w what youre running i wldnt switch, i know everyone fears the opti but honestly once u have a tune ur fine Theyre a ton of guys who run alot more hp w the stock pcm, and do it quite consistently, plus software and tuning are cheap.....just my opinion thats all.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt1needingboost
Trans shouldnt be a issue either shld be a 700r4 w all cable driven speedo and kickdown ........ i have a 24x on a 93 now i switchd to a 95 intake and other stuff but all and all not real bad. Now to get to the heart of the issue w what youre running i wldnt switch, i know everyone fears the opti but honestly once u have a tune ur fine Theyre a ton of guys who run alot more hp w the stock pcm, and do it quite consistently, plus software and tuning are cheap.....just my opinion thats all.
I'm not afraid of my Opti, it's served me well since I bought the car 5 years ago. The only reason I want 24x is for better tuning capabilities when I get more into the motor. Plus I don't know if many people tune chip cars anymore and I really don't want to tune it myself.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Computer could definitely be bad causing data issues. Mine wouldn't read anymore, swapped it out and was able to read and rewrite my tune without an issue.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

and who is to say it wasn't a poor pin connection at the pcm that was resolved simply by R&Ring the connector.......................
Old 03-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
and who is to say it wasn't a poor pin connection at the pcm that was resolved simply by R&Ring the connector.......................
Yea, def could have been that, we can't have the campricemgr being wrong about anything.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Yea, def could have been that, we can't have the campricemgr being wrong about anything.
those is fightin words right there ... subscribed
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Teching In

I am in the middle of doing the 24x conversion and I have some questions that need clear up please.
1. What if anything do I have to do to the transmission (1995 camaro 4L60E)?
2. Does anything have to be done with the DLC (data link connector 12 pin do I have to get it repined to a 16 pin) for tuning purposes? I have searched through the forum and I can’t seem to find any answers on these two subjects. Thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cucui
I am in the middle of doing the 24x conversion and I have some questions that need clear up please.
1. What if anything do I have to do to the transmission (1995 camaro 4L60E)?
2. Does anything have to be done with the DLC (data link connector 12 pin do I have to get it repined to a 16 pin) for tuning purposes? I have searched through the forum and I can’t seem to find any answers on these two subjects. Thanks in advance
1. I had the electrical internals, replaced with 96-97,i.e. electrical harness, solenoids. Thats it!
2.I could not help you on this one. I went and purchased the entire 24x wiring harness. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks Bolo.

Quick Reply: Is 24x right for me?