LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 95 firebird overheating ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 95 firebird overheating ????

Ok so I have a 95 firebird it has a lt1 from a 94 vette. When I bought it I haven't had very good heat. Yesterday I finally got to check the CEL and got error 29. (Meaning problem with theAIR system. Checked things out the fuse wasn't I. For it so I put it in. Everything seemed good until last night I took the car for a short ride and it got hot enough to boil antifreeze. Limp it home start looking no hose popped or anything. Which was what I thought cuz I saw the coolant coming out when I was trying to get it home. Nothing obvious so I turned it on after cooling a bit and my fans weren't coming on. So I thought okay let it run c if they come on eventuly nothing. Even when super hot. I pulled the fuse again for he A.i.R and now I have fans. Only when warm tho not constant. Check engine is on with fans. But I noticed too that I have cold cold air coming out of heater. It's never actually gotten really more than just kinda warm. Any ideas what I am dealing with. Heater core, and why don't fans work when the air pump system is on
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Launching!

Factory settings for fan number one is 225 for low speed and 235 for high speed, but with cold air blowing out it sounds like your heater core is plugged, or something else is plugged thats not allowing the coolant to circulate. Could be your water pump aswell
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Launching!

i had my laptop pluggd in and i was well above those numbers. and still no fans. now that was with the A.I.R. pump fuse in. and then took it out and fans seem to come back on when they should.i also have no coolant inside the car and can't smell any. (dont think there is anyholes in heatercore.) How do i burp the cooling system on this car without getting antifreeze all over the opti.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Launching!

I need to get eveerything filled back up I lost a good amount of coolant getting it home since i wanted to make sure i didn't peg the temp gauge and fry my heads. I am gonna start with trying to make sure there is no air in the system first. It just bugs me about the fans. not on when that air pump fuse is in. the car has been fine since i got it up till i plugged that fuse in.... Or was it prob just timing?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

If the AIR pump DTC is triggered the fans engage by default. Does the car still have an AIR pump? If not, then it needs to be programmed out of the PCM via tune.
Low/now heat means clogged heater core or low coolant. In your case I'd bet the coolant is just low. You need to figure out why the fans are not turning on before worrying about coolant levels.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Launching!

it does have an air pump. It has been disconnected since I Bought the car (about 2mo. ago) Like i said its had a CEL on for a while I finally got a program to read the codes and got 29 so i plugged in that fuse and thats when it started. I don't really mind not having the air hooked up. Just bugs me with the cel all the time.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Launching!

I am thinking its pretty low yet on coolant. But even b4 the car started this crap i had very little heat in the cabin.. Seems like the water pump is in good shape. I just had it off a few wks ago when i replaced capnrotor on the opti. how do i go about checking the fan operation when I have the air connected.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Village Troll

You sure the pump is in working order?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Launching!

thats what i am reading now in the haynes manual
it seems that the airpump kicks on at 59degrees. I'm not sure why it has anything at all to doo with the fans? it did seem like i didn't have quite the power with that pump plugged in as b4 i hooked it up? maybe that pump is the culprit how would i check the air system and see whats going on. I know already its in the secondary part
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Village Troll

Starting the engine cold you should be able to hear the air pump. If a DTC is thrown because of the air pump the fans will come on automatically by default. the AIR pump failing has been a notorious problem ever since these cars were new.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Launching!

okay i think the air pump is problem. I unplugged the fuse i plugged in yesterday to shut off the light. And fans come on when they should I took it for a good drive all heated up and fresh antifreeze/water mix. I let it sit for a while opening the bleeders evevry so often to get air and water moving thru. It is blasting heat now. and temp stays right were it should. So why in the world when I have the AIR System on does it make the car overheat by keeping the fans off? Doesn't seem to make any sense.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Launching!

I could care less about the emissions really. I plan on going with headers soon anyway but what does that pump do that causes that much of a problem when being broken?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Launching!

okay I hate it when i see threads like this that just end with no solution...
I refilled everything making sure that i bled the system out really good. after that i pulled the fuse back out for the A.I.R and everything seems just fine. No more overheating and thats fine by me I just have no idea why that when the air system is on my fans wont come on... But I am just gonna leave it off for now. I was planning on headers anyway so I may just eliminate the air system completely... Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look, your run on paragraphs are hard to read and will make others not respond.. but I'll attempt to answer your MANY questions within your rambling posts. here's what I gather .

When a service engine light comes on for anything the fans will run constant at any temp or condition .. So when u pulled the fuse for the pump it caused the fans to kick on. When u put the fuse back in and no SES light comes on it means all is normal and fans only come on at the tuned predetermined times. Now you said you were not getting heat thru dash and that engine was over heating. You also said you recently had water pump off . The problem of over heating came from air in the coolant system. Understand.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Sorry about that. I have a tendency to try and put as much info as possible but yeah going back and reading them it does just look like rambling.LOL. I had a weak heater before I took the waterpump off. I do agree though with air in the system since after i bled everything out it now has really good heat and hasn't heated up since. However I still have the A.I.R disconnected, so the fans will come on.

Quick Reply: Lt1 95 firebird overheating ????