LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1996 trans am, WTF is wrong with it

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 trans am, WTF is wrong with it

Guys my wifes trans am has been nothing but head aches, we got the pacesetter lts installed, the leak is fixed, the o2 sensors are in and now its still running like crap. What could this be? Could it need tuned, my car didnt get tuned and it ran fine. let me know thanks.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the plugs one or more could be cracked, and check the plug wires sometimes they don't make good contact on the plugs after you pull them off. The opti could be going bad too or you could even have a bad coil. Also check the fuel pressure, the pump could be weak or the filter is clogged, along with the fuel injectors could be clogged too.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Whenever there are problems after a header install the first place to look for problems is plugs and wires. Make sure the plugs are not cracked (some like to leave plugs in while trying to swap headers.. weird), wires not in the correct order, or burnt wires.
How exactly is it running like crap?
Old 03-23-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

check, check and recheck your spark plug wires, there easy to mix up. if thats not the issue then go threw the other things mentioned by redhot
Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Does the 96 have heated o2 sensors? Unplug your o2 sensors, does it run better? You need heated o2 sensors with long tube headers
Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Okay quick run down so you guys get a little bit more, we had a local shop do the headers. He did not plug the o2 sensors in because he claimed "You dont need them". I was in a rush so i took the car, and was driving for about a half hour and then it started to miss, loaded up, back firing and then it clears up and hauls ***. Then it will do it again. I checked plugs and wires, they are good, i may have to check the wires again. The o2 were plugged back in, and the only thing i can think of is maybe he got a wire backwards, or the o2's may have gone bad.

The car idles fine at idle, and when it first starts.
It misses, and runs way to rich to the point i can smell raw fuel.
Back fires and carries on.

Its been a pain, but the car does run good so we want to keep it im not ready to give up on it. So any sensors i can check or replace, is it the opti, thanks guys again for your help. i may post a video if you guys need it.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it's missing and backfiring there's a problem with the ignition system. And since it hasn't been tuned you need to definitely get that done.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

i didnt get my other 96 tuned after we did header's, and a bunch of other stuff. Sure you wont get all of the power out of it, but from my experiences i shouldnt have to get a tune done just for a header and y pipe swap. Whats weird is it wont do it in park or neutral??? im so confused.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

If it needs a tune, who would you guys use? i just dont see how as soon as we drove it with the o2's out it started to act like this, and now it wont seem to go back to normal.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't you ask the shop that installed the headers, they're the one's that screwed it up by not installing the O2 sensors.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly doubt it is the actually ignition system. You have to look at what was touched last. I would say it is either the wiring to the o2's (did you use extensions?) or the 02's themselves. Maybe he switched the cat monitor 02s with your regular o2s. Thats where you have to start looking. especially if you're running rich, it's backfiring ect. and it runs fine at idle and start up. (at start up the o2s aren't monitored, because the car is in open loop)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lynx853
I highly doubt it is the actually ignition system. You have to look at what was touched last. I would say it is either the wiring to the o2's (did you use extensions?) or the 02's themselves. Maybe he switched the cat monitor 02s with your regular o2s. Thats where you have to start looking. especially if you're running rich, it's backfiring ect. and it runs fine at idle and start up. (at start up the o2s aren't monitored, because the car is in open loop)
+1 check everything the shop touched.

dont see lsx car guys commenting in ltx land very often lol
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

you don't need a tune for it to run right with headers, although a tune will unlock more potential of the free flowing exhaust get it running right before you get the tune.... Definetley look at everything the shop touch, are the right o2s hooked up? The ones with the flat 4 prong should be hooked up the square 4 prong should be disconnected also double check wires it ran good for about 30 minutes and then started acting up, one could of touched a header and burnt... go over everything reall thouroughly
Old 03-24-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bad O2 extensions, bad O2's, burnt wires, or cracked plugs.

Pop the hood at night and look for a light show. You'll be suprised how obvious a cracked plug or bad wire will show up. Its helped me before.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't NEED a tune, but when you put long tubes and y-pipe on, you typically eliminate the downstream oxygen sensors. A tune will eliminate the codes and check engine light.

When installing the oxygen sensor, make sure you have the correct upstream sensors in the header collector, and use an oxygen sensor extension harness to make the harness from the upstream oxygen sensors reach the sensors in their new location.

If you put your downstream sensors in the header collector, and plugged them in to the downstream harness, and left the upstream sensors open, you may get some running issues like running rich.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Are you getting a check engine light? Also I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes then reconnect to see if it clears up.I might be off base but it almost sounds like a maf sensor problem when he says he can smell raw fuel and rich condition,granted I doubt the shop touched that at all tho.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by lynx853
Maybe he switched the cat monitor 02s with your regular o2s.
Physcially impossible. The plug harnesses are a different shape between the two. Usually a backfiring issue is a timing issue. Not sure if just the plug wires were checked, but you also have to check their order to make sure they are on their correct plug. Also, since they were smart enough to leave the O2's unplugged, make sure the wiring did not come into contact with the headers and burn the wires. Sounds like the reason why they came up with that lameass excuse is because they did not have extenders, stuck their prospective thumbs up their asses and fed you that dumb "yew don't need 'em." line...
The engine loading up on fuel also points to bad O2's or the wiring is faulty.

Last edited by SS RRR; 03-25-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Yeah thanks guys for the info, i will re check everything. could the computer be damaged from not running o2's??? I did unplug the battery to see if it resets itself and it didnt help. Ill give a status update soon, if nothing else works ill post a video for you guys.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991camaro_rs
Yeah thanks guys for the info, i will re check everything. could the computer be damaged from not running o2's??? I did unplug the battery to see if it resets itself and it didnt help. Ill give a status update soon, if nothing else works ill post a video for you guys.
PCM doesn't really get "damaged" per say, atleast not from a bad running condition. Pretty much only way for it to have problems is just old age causing it to fail, or connection problems during a reflash.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Cool thanks, so apparently not all the o2's are not hooked up. Im just going thro the thing with a fine tooth comb and see what i can find out. Ill let you guys know what i find, lol sad its a cool car and she wants to drive it. With luck we will figure it out.

Quick Reply: 1996 trans am, WTF is wrong with it