LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rear End Gear Install (Nebraska) Final Details, Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear End Gear Install (Nebraska) Final Details, Need Help.

Hey everyone,

Ok decided on 3:73 gears for my 97 z28 A4. Which brand is the next step - Motive regular, Motive performance, Richmond, AAM (kinda pricey $300), Yukon - heard amazing things ($270).

Now I will probably go with this for the install kit:

MK GM7.5
[Master Installation Kit(TIMKEN BEARINGS): Includes Pinion and Carrier Bearings, Pinion Seal, Pinion and Carrier Shims, Pinion Nut, Ring Gear Bolts, Crush Sleeve or Preload Shims, Gasket, Gear Marking Compound, Loctite, and Brush.] Thoughts on this kit? Should I get the Yukon master overhaul - runs $175 from randy's pinion. I will buy a solid sleeve to replace the crush sleeve but besides that do I have everything needed to do this thing right?

I would have: GM performance limited slip additive on hand, valvoline syn power full synthetic 75w90 gear diff fluid.

Next anyone know shops in Lincoln, Nebraska or surrounding areas? I have been quoted 600-750$ just for install by two shops - I know that price is highly unreasonable and I'm not one to get bent over and *** rammed on installs.

Just looking for some input, wanting to order the gears and kit soon, have the fluid on hand and the slip additive I will pick up tomorrow.

Thanks,

Devin
Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone like Strange gears?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have always used motive gears or gm gears. They seem to be quiet and work well.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blk97z28
Hey everyone,

Ok decided on 3:73 gears for my 97 z28 A4. Which brand is the next step - Motive regular, Motive performance, Richmond, AAM (kinda pricey $300), Yukon - heard amazing things ($270).

Now I will probably go with this for the install kit:

MK GM7.5
[Master Installation Kit(TIMKEN BEARINGS): Includes Pinion and Carrier Bearings, Pinion Seal, Pinion and Carrier Shims, Pinion Nut, Ring Gear Bolts, Crush Sleeve or Preload Shims, Gasket, Gear Marking Compound, Loctite, and Brush.] Thoughts on this kit? Should I get the Yukon master overhaul - runs $175 from randy's pinion. I will buy a solid sleeve to replace the crush sleeve but besides that do I have everything needed to do this thing right?

I would have: GM performance limited slip additive on hand, valvoline syn power full synthetic 75w90 gear diff fluid.

Next anyone know shops in Lincoln, Nebraska or surrounding areas? I have been quoted 600-750$ just for install by two shops - I know that price is highly unreasonable and I'm not one to get bent over and *** rammed on installs.

Just looking for some input, wanting to order the gears and kit soon, have the fluid on hand and the slip additive I will pick up tomorrow.

Thanks,

Devin
I know a guy that can install them for you and he wont charge you up the ***. He lives in holdrege, NE pm me if you want details.

I have motive performance
Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright so I placed my order with shipping it came out to 499.09$ shipped and will be here Thursday or Friday of this week.

The kit includes:

- 1 @ Motive high performance gears 373's for series two carrier (made in the Italy plant)
- 1 @ Ratech complete gear install kit for GM 7.5in
- 2 @ Royal purple full synthetic gear fluid (75w90)
- 1 @ GM limited slip additive
- 1 @ TA Performance rear end performance girdle
- 1 @ TA Performance stud kit
- 1 @ Ratech solid pinion spacer

Is ratech a good brand for install kits? Read something about their bearings not being good? This kit saved me 75$ if I was going to buy the kit components all separate. Should I look for a bearing kit that has TIMKEN bearings and just sell off the ratech complete kit?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by englundjd
I know a guy that can install them for you and he wont charge you up the ***. He lives in holdrege, NE pm me if you want details.

I have motive performance
Hey man,

I just got a quote for 300-400$ installed that is about 40 miles away from me. I google search your area for the suggestion you made - if I was closer id be up on that like nothing flat but it was close to 3 hrs away.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blk97z28
Alright so I placed my order with shipping it came out to 499.09$ shipped and will be here Thursday or Friday of this week.

The kit includes:

- 1 @ Motive high performance gears 373's for series two carrier (made in the Italy plant)
- 1 @ Ratech complete gear install kit for GM 7.5in
- 2 @ Royal purple full synthetic gear fluid (75w90)
- 1 @ GM limited slip additive
- 1 @ TA Performance rear end performance girdle
- 1 @ TA Performance stud kit
- 1 @ Ratech solid pinion spacer

Is ratech a good brand for install kits? Read something about their bearings not being good? This kit saved me 75$ if I was going to buy the kit components all separate. Should I look for a bearing kit that has TIMKEN bearings and just sell off the ratech complete kit?
That's a good list of parts, about the only hope to keep the 10 bolt alive. The royal purple is overpriced overkill crap but it will work.

I would just run the bearings that come with it, they can't be bad.
Good luck with it and be sure to have your speedometer corrected with a programmer or a tune.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
That's a good list of parts, about the only hope to keep the 10 bolt alive. The royal purple is overpriced overkill crap but it will work.

I would just run the bearings that come with it, they can't be bad.
Good luck with it and be sure to have your speedometer corrected with a programmer or a tune.
Well the royal purple was included in the kit, when priced out all separate the oil came out to be free plus like 30$ extra in cash. I was thinking precision in Beatrice has done amazing work and was referred there, wonder if he can tune it?

Quick Reply: Rear End Gear Install (Nebraska) Final Details, Need Help.