LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which way should I go for a good tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Which way should I go for a good tune?

I would like to have a good tune on my car, but nobody in the U.S. that I know of tunes Speed Density cars on a dyno. The mail order tunes from the two major companies are causing my car to run too rich with fuel. PCMforless and Fastchip don't dyno tune anymore.
•I wanted to do a 24x and that was going to cost about $2600 and I was fine with that, but I think I will have to get a 4L60-E trans to make it work and that cost of $2600 is not incorporated with buying a 4L60-E , swapping internals, and putting it in the Z. That’s just a lot of work for a tune too.
•I’m now thinking about doing a 97 or something conversion, but I haven’t done any research on it to see what it consist of and how much it will cost me.
•I called a Houston tuner, Chuck Tuning, and asked him if I bought all the software and hardware would he be able to tune my car and he said yes, but I don't know if I should do that. He didn't sound that crazy to do it.
•What I need to do is a datalog and sent it to the people that I bought a mail order tune so that they can tweak the tune, but I could never figure out how to save them and attach them to a e-mail a few years ago. That’s what I really need to do.
I would love to jump in my car and take it for a spin and not have my clothes end up smelling like gas. I also don’t want to ruin the engine sooner then normal.
My car is a 93 Z28 with a 383 speed density pain in the rear.
Does anyone have some good advice.

Last edited by 383z; 04-02-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just have to do more searching. Where are you located? I'm sure there's someone reputable around your area or closed by. Here in Chicago, there's Speed Inc, FLP, Madz28, just to name a few.GL
Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in Houston, Tx and I wish I could find someone to tune my speed density car. I don't think I know the right people. If I knew someone capable of tuning the car I would simply buy all the software, hardware, and pay them to do it.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

If you really want to do the 24x swap you don't have to worry about your trans. You can leave it controlled by the tv cable and then the PCM will only use the speed sensor in the tailshaft and the lock-up for the tq converter. I asked efi connection about that back when it first came out. The only difference is you can't tune your shift points. You will still be able to change gear ratios as the PCM sees it, and tcc function. You loose only the shift points and line pressure control. If your trans is already done, then why go through the headache? That's probably the easiest way to do that swap on a 93. If I go that route, I'll be leaving the FLT lvl 4 I ordered in the car. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think twice about the 96-97 obd2 pcm. I am having nightmares trying to get mine running good. I have made a post here and on cz28. I bought the jet tuning software, autotap datalogger (which i screwed up on because it doesnt have enhanced parameters and that isnt offered anymore, ANYWHERE), and spent $1200 to have it "dynotuned". Well, after some horrible track times for my setup, with the limited scanning abilities I had with the autotap, the timing is 41* Wot. I cant get the better obd1 computer because of emmisions, so I am pretty sure Ill be piecing together a 24x setup. I just want my car running at its full potential, and it never has in the 4 years Ive been tinkering with it, Im done. I am sure there are plenty of people out there who have excellent running 97 pcm cars, just not me. If I were you, I would seriously look at a 95 pcm swap. You would have the ability to datalog and tune for next to nothing. I would do this in a heartbeat, but I cant because of emissions.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to get in touch with Moe Bailey his screen name on here is MOEHORSEPOWER. He is suppose to be the man when it comes to tuning lt1s and he is here in texas waco/kileen area. I have the same problem as you, a 383 le2 1997 z28 with a pcm for less tune running way rich. I hope to get moe to tune my car after i fix a few little issues. Henderson Performance in the san antonio area i hear still tunes lt1s.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duh
You loose only the shift points and line pressure control. If your trans is already done, then why go through the headache? That's probably the easiest way to do that swap on a 93. If I go that route, I'll be leaving the FLT lvl 4 I ordered in the car. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
I "heard" I couldn't use my 4L60, so thats good news. I wouldn't have to worry about the shift points and line pressure because of the TV cable does all that, right?

Originally Posted by ascastil
I would think twice about the 96-97 obd2 pcm. I am having nightmares trying to get mine running good. I have made a post here and on cz28. I bought the jet tuning software, autotap datalogger (which i screwed up on because it doesnt have enhanced parameters and that isnt offered anymore, ANYWHERE), and spent $1200 to have it "dynotuned". Well, after some horrible track times for my setup, with the limited scanning abilities I had with the autotap, the timing is 41* Wot. I cant get the better obd1 computer because of emmisions, so I am pretty sure Ill be piecing together a 24x setup. I just want my car running at its full potential, and it never has in the 4 years Ive been tinkering with it, Im done. I am sure there are plenty of people out there who have excellent running 97 pcm cars, just not me. If I were you, I would seriously look at a 95 pcm swap. You would have the ability to datalog and tune for next to nothing. I would do this in a heartbeat, but I cant because of emissions.
You sound right on another form they told me to go with a 94pcm.
Originally Posted by AP30thZ
Try to get in touch with Moe Bailey his screen name on here is MOEHORSEPOWER. He is suppose to be the man when it comes to tuning lt1s and he is here in texas waco/kileen area. I have the same problem as you, a 383 le2 1997 z28 with a pcm for less tune running way rich. I hope to get moe to tune my car after i fix a few little issues. Henderson Performance in the san antonio area i hear still tunes lt1s.
Would you have his contact info or if anybody else does could you PM it to me?

Last edited by 383z; 04-04-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I all ready sent it to you
Old 04-04-2013, 03:37 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 383z
I "heard" I couldn't use my 4L60, so thats good news. I wouldn't have to worry about the shift points and line pressure because of the TV cable does all that, right?
Exactly. The only thing to worry about is the tcc and vss. As long as that is wired up, you're good to go.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Moe Bailey or try Chucks Performance in Houston, they do a lot of ls1 stuff but may be able to do lt1 also
Old 04-06-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL! Well, my optispark went out. It went out the other day, because of the water pump leaking on it. Thats the first time it has gone out on me in the 8yrs I have owned the car.
I think I'm going to go the 24x route now that I know I can use my trans. The way I'm thinking is instead of putting money back into the opti and still being in the same predicament as I'm in now. I will use the money to get rid of the weak link, opti, and be able to find someone to tune it.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 AM
TECH Regular

24x and HP tuners do have good results.

Quick Reply: Which way should I go for a good tune?