LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

to hotwire or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to hotwire or not?

I'm replacing my failing fuel pump with the walbro 255. Like everything else with lt1 there are many ideas behind parts and what need to and doesn't need to be done. Is the hotwire set up necessary or is it an option? Any input is appreciated.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would do it. I'm changing out with a racetronix unit and the pre-made wire harness. Its cheap insurance IMHO, the stock wiring driving your new shiny pump is now around 19 years old, give or take.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I replaced mine with the Hotwire kit just for he fact that it would be brand new wiring. Plus it actually pulls directly off the alternator .
Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is absolutely no reason to NOT use the Racetronix hotwire kit
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Well that made the decision easy. Yea. I should have taken the age of the wires into account. I'm more of a mechanical person than an electrician. How much of a pain is the hotwire kit to install?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Look at it like this, most stock systems are sized marginally including wiring which is always barely large enough gauge.

Then think of electrical things sort of like the engine, they can't operate at peak efficiency without a good "intake and exhaust".
Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Plug and play it looks like. Just make sure you route the wires away from the exhaust, and use the supplied zipties to make it all nice and tidy.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PhenixTAGT
I'm replacing my failing fuel pump with the walbro 255. Like everything else with lt1 there are many ideas behind parts and what need to and doesn't need to be done. Is the hotwire set up necessary or is it an option? Any input is appreciated.
http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...c=RFPK-003&eq=

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

^ exact thing I will be buying.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Teching In

As will I Quazz. Looks easy enough.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

im using the racetronix pump without the hotwire kit, i was on a budget and in between a cross country move so i figured i would pass on the hotwire kit for the time being. i also agree that it would be good to replace old wires and better to draw power directly from the alternator. That being said i do not experience any problems without the hotwire kit, previous pump would sometimes cut out around 4500 5000 which has now been resolved with just the new pump.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Teching In

@96z that's what mine is doing and of course everyone says its the opti. While anything electronic can fail I'm pretty sure its not the opti especially after I replaced the msd that was on it and it still acted the same. Its been tuned three times with same results a little stumble and loss of power. The logs showed lean at WOT and I was told that it was a result of bad o2 sensors or an exhaust leak. I started research and found many having the same issue after a build.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

@96z that's what mine is doing and of course everyone says its the opti. While anything electronic can fail I'm pretty sure its not the opti especially after I replaced the msd that was on it and it still acted the same. Its been tuned three times with same results a little stumble and loss of power. The logs showed lean at WOT and I was told that it was a result of bad o2 sensors or an exhaust leak. I started research and found many having the same issue after a build.
i also had a bad opti at the same time but the opti for me led to low end misfires ran great up top, turned out my rotor was arcing on the cap.... pain in the @ss! But yeah just the pump should fix up any fuel issues you are having, but if you have the extra money might as well do the hotwire plug, i would of if it wasn't due to circumstances at the time
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IIRC O2s are not read at WOT so bad ones shouldn't have a bearing on WOT performance.

The best way to find out if a fuel pump is failing is to attach a fuel pressure guage and monitor the car at idle, regular driving, WOT, and after it has sat for a bit to see how quickly the pressure bleeds off.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure you're right about the o2. It was more or less an excuse because the car was being a pain in the *** to tune right.

Quick Reply: to hotwire or not?