LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thinking of going to the darkside

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of going to the darkside

A little background, i bought a 94z28 a couple years ago, took it to the track a few times but i was having transmission problems shifting at WOT. so i babied it around for the year deciding what i wanted to do. Out for a night drive one day, in the middle of the city on the highway a deer ran right into the side of my car at 70 mph. Im just finished up fixing everything. ( new quarter,door,tail lights, and re painted) Now that i have that fixed up its time to start the mods. The goal for the gar is to hit somewhere around 550-600 to the wheels to be able to compete with some family members at the track. but i want it to be streetable. i need to drive it to the track and then back home. Now im at a cross roads. Ive been reading up on the lsx swaps and a lq4 heads and cam or boosted would get reach my goal and still be streetable. Will the lt1 be able to do that? or would i have to do alot more then that? with such a larger market and parts for the lsx engines im looking that way but if i can do it while still keeping my lt1 i might go that way also. So the question is what will get me to 550-600 to the wheels while still being driveable on the street? boosted/h/c/i lq4 or a boosted full bolt on lt1?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you put off a tranny repair for a year there is no way in hell you can even think about affording a build of this scale.

Besides if looking to compete at the track you should be talking ET goals. If the car works well at that kind of power level you could be looking at needing a chute at the track........................
Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If you put off a tranny repair for a year there is no way in hell you can even think about affording a build of this scale.

Besides if looking to compete at the track you should be talking ET goals. If the car works well at that kind of power level you could be looking at needing a chute at the track........................
the trans has been rebuilt and fixed ofc. im not really worried about the track times, it will just be for fun and bracket racing. i wont be launching at 4k+ rpms. im not trying to be the fastest out there, but a few of my family members are running around the same hp mark. only one is a full out drag car though. Low 11's to high 10s would be as fast as i want to go with it. with all the track saftey equipment to go with it. im leaning more twards the lsx so i can still drive the lt1 for some bracket fun this summer while i get all the parts around for a winter build.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't need 550hp+ to hit the 11s
Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

ya i know, its just a mark i want to hit while im building it up. i wont be doing any sort of weight reduction. if i dont hit that mark i would be ok with that also. i have my goals i want to hit, but i want to be realistic aswell
Old 04-04-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

agreed, with the appropiate setup people have hit 11s with head cam setup, add some spray in there you should be able to hit low 11's pretty easily...
Old 04-04-2013, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

a h/c nitrous shot was my original intentions when i bought the car. the more i think about it though i dont think i want to go that route. I guess im stuck at a crossroads at the moment and looking for some advice. Im sure it will start off as a mild build but as soon as i start ordering the parts i know i will go wild on it sooner or later. will the lt1 have room to grow after you get to say 450 hp if i decide to keep going with it?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

People get hung up on weight reduction which is a solid way to get your ET down BUT you realize that my car for example is over 4100lbs raceweight and while I don't have a dyno chart I honestly would not expect it to be but 420rwhp. Take 500lbs out of it to make f-body weight and as others have proven you can have a low 11 second street LT1 heads/cam car. A hydraulic stroker can and has done 10s. Many of the mid to high 9 second cars are 520-550s at the tire some of them NA
Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

It's all about what you want to have honestly..I went LS because of the aftermarket.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
People get hung up on weight reduction which is a solid way to get your ET down BUT you realize that my car for example is over 4100lbs raceweight and while I don't have a dyno chart I honestly would not expect it to be but 420rwhp. Take 500lbs out of it to make f-body weight and as others have proven you can have a low 11 second street LT1 heads/cam car. A hydraulic stroker can and has done 10s. Many of the mid to high 9 second cars are 520-550s at the tire some of them NA
I am sure the OP wants a gutted tin can that can barely idle as a daily driver.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Merv the aftermarket is a big reason why i im leaning towards a lsx over the lt1.
caprice im not really worried about the track times much. im sure anything from 400+ will be plenty for me at this time, but this car will probably be worked on alot as a hobby and side project for me over the many years to come to just have fun with. and ive always loved the sound of a BOV.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

i dont see why an you feel the need to go lsx. an lt1 can get you where you want to go and you can turbo it if you feel the need. that and its more of a challenge to make an lt1 fast... it seems anyone with about half a brain and lots of money can make an lsx fast. no offence to the lsx crowd lol
Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just do a heads and cam and throw on one of those electrical doo dads that makes a bov sound when you shift. Win win, duh.

Quick Reply: Thinking of going to the darkside