LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car won't shift under heavy accel

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't shift under heavy accel

So I took the car out for it's first test drive today, and the only hard pull I did it would not shift from 2nd at 3/4 to WOT, if I lift a little it shifted fine. Other than that no stutters or anything from the car. It sounds amazing and runs smooth as glass.

I just put this trans and new tq converter in about 3k ago. Trans had 73k on it, tq converter was brand new. I'm no expert on auto's at all, so i'm not sure what to look for aside from scanning it for codes (which I know it has at least 4 atm)
Old 04-26-2013, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

could be a sign of bad things beginning or simply the commanded shift rpm and rev limiter are set too near each other. The rev limiter needs to be several hundred rpm higher than the shift command because it takes time for the shift to complete.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Trans was low on fluid, which would be my bet so far. I have not driven it since I topped it off. The only thing I did not double check today was that, since I was told it was full last night by my dad. I'll let it cool down and take it back out later today and see what it does and report back. Thankfully I have 2 more 4l60's in the garage right now....
Old 04-26-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedDSM
Trans was low on fluid, which would be my bet so far. I have not driven it since I topped it off. The only thing I did not double check today was that, since I was told it was full last night by my dad. I'll let it cool down and take it back out later today and see what it does and report back. Thankfully I have 2 more 4l60's in the garage right now....
Had the same happen to me and thought my fully built 4l60 took a premature dump, but was just a leaky tranny cooler line.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's just really low on fluid, added 2 quarts to it and still quite low. Have not driven it since, I'll run and get more tomorrow and see what happens. Was trying to finish up my SLP lid install first anyhow lol.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One quart low can do that.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I figured, after I saw how low it was and how it acted on the way back home... I'll button my lip up tomorrow and head in to get more fluid and a grommet for my IAT. If no more problems arise might even hit the strip Wednesday with it.

Quick Reply: Car won't shift under heavy accel