LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tapping from engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping from engine

Hey I'm gunna just try and get more insight into this.

My lt1 has been tapping lately it sounds like its coming from a lifter or rocker arm, hence why I've been looking into replacing them, but it's kinda hard to diagnose exactly.

It's it much quieter at idle to the point you can't hear anything but when I'm under load driving down the street I can hear a tapping. When I rev the motor from idle I cant really hear it, Just faintly but it does sound like its coming from the top of the motor. I assumed it was the rocker arms but my buddy at work said it could be a cam bearing or a lazy lifter.

What is stumping me is if it were a lifter wouldent it be louder at idle due to lower oil pressure?
Could t be a cam bearing being that it's louder under load is what's bothering me.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Time to pull a valve cover and take a look.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

agreed I was wrong about it getting louder when it warms up, it definetly is louder after it has been sitting for a day then quiet's down. its not excessive ill be pulling a valve cover as soon as I delete the AIr system this week
Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

is there a gasket i need to replace when i pull the valve covers or are they reusable assuming their in good condition?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Reuse them as long as you don't tear or anything. If all else fails Fel-Pro's are cheap replacements.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jrwilliams95z28
is there a gasket i need to replace when i pull the valve covers or are they reusable assuming their in good condition?
No. All you need to do is make sure the valve cover seal/gasket is evenly firm seating when you put the covers back on and you shouldn't have to worry about any oil leaks. About how long ago did the noise start? The tapping could be a vary of things. We would need more details like if it does it on cold start ups or if anything has been worked on the car or if you’ve been running the motor hard. When the valve covers are off try testing each rocker bolt while its on.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok cool thanks!

It's started about 2 weeks ago give or take I'm not exactly sure when I started to notice it. The only work done to the motor in that time is a oil change and it sounded fine after that I think. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic. I did a tranny fluid change a couple weeks ago and used redline d4 ATF and I changed the read diff fluid about the same time to royal purple 75w-90 with additive.

I did remove the hood insulation when I did the oil change so thing might be a bit louder from that which might explain why I just recently noticed it.

It seems louder when it's cold. When warm and idling I can't hear it over everything else. When I rev it from idle I can sort of hear it as the revs drop back down.

When I'm driving under load is when I can hear it fairly clearly from the cab. It's loud enough that at part throttle I can hear it but under wot my exhaust covers it up atleast from the cab. I have stock manifolds and y pipe as cat just a magnaflow exhaust.

Ill try and take a video right after start up tonight I'm at work now and I don't drive the car to work I have a cruze for a dd
Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Perhaps an exhaust leak. What you describe is not the characteristics of valvetrain/lifter problems. With the engine running (cold preferably) hover your hand around the exhaust ports to see if you feel any kind of exhaust pulse leaking out. Check around where the manifolds join the yoke.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Really cause the ticking noise sounds almost exactly like valve train noise? I've heard exhaust leaks and they normally sound like a civic with a fart can
Old 05-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jrwilliams95z28
Really cause the ticking noise sounds almost exactly like valve train noise? I've heard exhaust leaks and they normally sound like a civic with a fart can
exhaust leaks sounds like ticking if its a small leak. If its a big leak then it’ll in some cases sound like a diesel.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a piece of cardboard 2 feet long by 1 foot wide and put it down by the base of the valve cover. Kind of isolates if it is an exhaust leak. And able to tell if it is coming from valve train easier.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Off topic, but wasnt your car for sale a while ago on kijiji?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

yep it was lol I changed my mind and moved to a place with more room to store it.

Quick Reply: Tapping from engine