LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gmmg/madhammer exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gmmg/madhammer exhaust

I'm about to order a gmmg/madhammer exhaust and Steve at Madhammer told me I will need a rubber grommet adapter because the system is built for LS1 cars. Does anyone know where I can get this adapter???? Thanks
Old 05-07-2013, 04:20 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

He could be talking about this. GMMG used to include this hardware for LT1 cars.

http://www.speedengineeringlsx.com/s...-1996-97-30044
Old 05-08-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

That could be it but I don't know. Could anyone else chime in? I'm installing this myself so I just want to have what's needed! Thanks
Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Originally Posted by whiteheartbeat
That could be it but I don't know. Could anyone else chime in? I'm installing this myself so I just want to have what's needed! Thanks
I have the exhaust, although I bought it directly from GMMG. If you don't have that hardware, you'll probably need it. Why not send him the link and ask him to confirm whether that's what he's talking about, or call and ask if he's referring to the SLP LT1 hanger kit.

I would advise shopping around for that kit. You might be able to find it cheaper.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BTC
I have the exhaust, although I bought it directly from GMMG. If you don't have that hardware, you'll probably need it. Why not send him the link and ask him to confirm whether that's what he's talking about, or call and ask if he's referring to the SLP LT1 hanger kit.

I would advise shopping around for that kit. You might be able to find it cheaper.
Yeah i can try sending him the link. I've seen a few kits for sale, there is some on ebay now $500 and up for used. I honestly have no problem spending $625 for a new stainless system. Thanks again for your help
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

When I mentioned shopping around for the kit, I was referring to the hangers.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BTC
When I mentioned shopping around for the kit, I was referring to the hangers.
Sorry my bad, anyways mad hammer will make it out of stainless steel for me! Thanks for your help
Old 11-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Teching In

I'm close to having enough $$ for the mad hammer kit... hopefully they're still being made??

Two questions: 1) Would the tips off the '01 SS fit this system? I looked real quick at my stock exhaust and it looks like they're welded on. Can these be removed to fit onto the GMMG pipes? Or is there no way to separate the tips from the pipes (and if it's possible to separate, are the tips the same diameter as the GMMG pipes)? Trivial question, but if I could save myself some $$ I don't mind the extra work.
2) While I'm extremely mechanically able to do work on cars, I don't like jumping into anything without instructions because it's not something I do often. I'm assuming this kit doesn't come with any, so any pointers would be appreciated. I would like to get the stock system out in one piece if at all possible without having to go crazy pulling $hi+ apart to get it out.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DriveitlikeIstoleit
I'm close to having enough $$ for the mad hammer kit... hopefully they're still being made??

Two questions: 1) Would the tips off the '01 SS fit this system? I looked real quick at my stock exhaust and it looks like they're welded on. Can these be removed to fit onto the GMMG pipes? Or is there no way to separate the tips from the pipes (and if it's possible to separate, are the tips the same diameter as the GMMG pipes)? Trivial question, but if I could save myself some $$ I don't mind the extra work.
2) While I'm extremely mechanically able to do work on cars, I don't like jumping into anything without instructions because it's not something I do often. I'm assuming this kit doesn't come with any, so any pointers would be appreciated. I would like to get the stock system out in one piece if at all possible without having to go crazy pulling $hi+ apart to get it out.
The tips should fit if you can get them off, I used the tips I had on my previous exhaust but mine were not welded! Installing the exhaust is pretty straight forward! You shouldn't have any issues!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Maybe mine aren't welded on. I gave it a quick look the other day and I didn't notice any clamps. Now that I'm close to getting this system, I guess I better start looking it over better.

As straight forward as it may be, are there any problems you ran into or anything I may want to look for? I'm assuming you cut your stock system out since most people do. If so, where'd you cut it, and is it cut in a place where you can weld it back togther functionally? Reason I ask is I save all stock parts from anything I work on in case I need it in the future, and I'd like to be able to use the stock one in the future if need be. I appreciate the info.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You just need exhaust hangers from an LS1 car. Call up Hawks or go to a local junkyard.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Yes, the Madhammer kits are still being made. Also if anyone is interested in the GMMG style Oval tips, I found the company that made them for GMMG. I bought a set for my car.

Yes you need the LS1 driver side hanger (which MadHammer can make and send with the kit) You will need to find the rubber hanger/insulator. You can get them from a dealership or ebay, its included in the link that was posted.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Banned

i tucked the exhaust pipes up and dumped them at the rear bumper. makes them hidden and the rear looks better.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stainless Specialties made the original oval GMMG tips and still does.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Teching In

I'm putting this on an LS1, so no need for anything extra here. I looked at the tips again today and they are welded. I thought F that, I'm not dealing with getting those off... I'll just spend the $$ on the new tips and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Gmmg/madhammer exhaust