LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AC Compressor Going Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC Compressor Going Bad?

Recently been noticing a drag down or bog on the motor whenever I use the AC in my car. I have had one suggestion that the compressor might be going out. I am very interested because I have never heard of this happening. Obviously it could. Just let me know what you think
Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Are you saying it's dragging the motor down more than normal? There is a very noticeable difference with and without the compressor on. Usually if they go bad they either leak or make noise.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Are you saying it's dragging the motor down more than normal? There is a very noticeable difference with and without the compressor on. Usually if they go bad they either leak or make noise.
Exactly what you just said is happening. I have a thread about it, check it out
Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Take the belt off, try to turn the very front of the compressor. It should have resistance, but should be able to be turned by hand. If it's extremely hard to turn then it may be going out, but again, usually compressors show signs of going out other than dragging. Now turn the part the belt seats on. It should turn extremely free. I also think the belt would start slipping, also making noise, if the compressor had more resistance.
As stated in your other thread, have you checked anything suggested? If not, check your plug wires. Check to see if the water pump is leaking onto the opti (check when engine is warm and system is pressurized). When is the last time plugs/wires were changed out, if ever?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Take the belt off, try to turn the very front of the compressor. It should have resistance, but should be able to be turned by hand. If it's extremely hard to turn then it may be going out, but again, usually compressors show signs of going out other than dragging. Now turn the part the belt seats on. It should turn extremely free. I also think the belt would start slipping, also making noise, if the compressor had more resistance.
As stated in your other thread, have you checked anything suggested? If not, check your plug wires. Check to see if the water pump is leaking onto the opti (check when engine is warm and system is pressurized). When is the last time plugs/wires were changed out, if ever?
I changed plugs just a couple months ago. I did not do wires however..

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Going Bad?